"The" 1981 GS650G revival!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The" 1981 GS650G revival!

Greetings from the state of Texas! I just bought a gs650 from a buddy that had it pawned for $200. I paid to get it out and gave him some money now it's mine. This is my first real motorcycle, I've been riding 2 strokes for the last 6 months and feel confident enough to make this leap.

My plans for this thing consist of just making it good enough to be ridden until it dies of old age. So far I've changed all fluids, removed the tank(bit rusted), removed old filter(whatever was left of it)and tried to start it with makeshift tank and fresh gas.

Good battery plus a jump pack, it lights up fine all fuses are there except the headlight fuse, but the depress the start button and nothing! Proceed to jump the solenoid and it just cranks over, it does have good spark. I'm thinking the carbs need cleaned or theres a safety feature not allowing the solenoid to be ignited

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2018, 07:08 PM.

Suzuki has a clutch safety switch. Pull back the clutch lever when you push the start button. If it has been sitting for awhile the carbs are probably clogged up. You can spray some carb cleaner into the air box to see if it will start up, but don't do it to long, just to see if all four cylinders fire. if you don't have carb spray, you can put some gas in a squirt bottle. The exhaust pipes will get warm quick.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks gsrick, I was excited so I forgot about the safety features I read some bikes have. Just got done downloading the owner and service manual.(shout out to Bascliff).

I'll be removing the carbs and cleaning the jets tomorrow! Wish me luck and pray that my carb gaskets don't fall apart during disassembly

Comment

Seeing as you are tackling the carb cleaning yourself you should also look into a set of new o-rings for the re-assembly.

Welcome to the site.

Ain't nothin' but a Gthing. Cute.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm glad you caught that lol!

And thanks for the link! I like how the site goes the seemingly all too familiar start a new project route of .... hey you need new o rings! But wait you need these other o rings too!! Hey but don't order yet ou going this far and you're already in there-might as well get these to lol!!!

Comment

Well since you have the tank off, check the valve clearances.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gthing View Post
              I'll be removing the carbs and cleaning the jets tomorrow! Wish me luck and pray that my carb gaskets don't fall apart during disassembly
              Be ready for disappointment.

You will need to clean more than just the jets. You will need to disassemble the entire carb, down to the bare body (leave the throttle plate in place), soak each body overnight in carb cleaner dip (Berryman's is highly-recommended), then flush with come carb cleaner spray and compressed air. Re-assemble with a full set of o-rings from cycleorings.com. Be sure to include the o-rings for the intake boots.

The only "gaskets" in the carbs are for the float bowls, they should be replaced anyway.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

But I'm so ready to hear it run, i dont think I can wait! I'll be ordering those parts and the wait is gonna kill me.

Is it out of the question to just spray starting fluid into the into the airbox to get my fix? Besides I don't want to spend money on those things if the engine is toasted

Comment

If you just want to hear it run, and don't care whether it runs well, go ahead, spray some starter fluid, take a chance that you blow it up.

Yeah, it sounds harsh, but it is SO easy to overdo the starter fluid thing, and the results can be disasterous.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gthing View Post
                    But I'm so ready to hear it run, i dont think I can wait! I'll be ordering those parts and the wait is gonna kill me.

Is it out of the question to just spray starting fluid into the into the airbox to get my fix? Besides I don't want to spend money on those things if the engine is toasted
                    If you do it correctly you are only going to need to wait another week.
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok, guess I'll wait! Just put in an order for the intake and carb o-rings along with the ss bolts. Also got the float bowl gaskets and a choke cable $68 later it's just a waiting game.

In the mean time I plan to wash the whole bike really good and check the valve clearance.

Anything else I should check while it stays down?

Comment

Run through your electrical connections and make sure they are still in good shape cleaning up any you can with deOxit or similar. If you need to fix any then you can get connectors and terminals from vintageconnections.com or Cycle Recycle II in Indianapolis (newmotorcycleparts.net)
                        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Ps.How can I ist images directly to the thread rather than you guys having to Click on links?

Thanks@cowboyup3371
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Since you are using Flickr, click on the bbcode tab and copy/paste that into your post
                            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Forgot to mention that I am using mobile

Comment

Working...
                              X