No announcement yet.

"The" 1981 GS650G revival!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can still open Flickr on your phone's browser but it gets more interesting. Essentially, you have to get to the desktop version of their website by holding your phone/ipad in landscape mode then clicking the share icon for your picture.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Lol, oh well ill figure it out sooner or later

Comment

Taking off those carbs was a big ol' bear! Took one of those float bowl drain bolts and there was rust in there.

Comment

Comment

Don't think the rust is only in the bowl. It likely made it into the passages and got stuck in the jets, too.

Remember that any shortcuts you take are merely opportunities to do it over and do it right.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks pretty rough. You can do up to 10 pictures in a single post if you prefer (that includes the emoticons)
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

No worries I'll take them apart and cleaned them properly! Also I plan to clean the tank with muriatic acid

Comment

outside cleaned up ok!

CARNAGE!

Comment

Needle valve on #2 is stuck! All others open and close as they should

Comment

Scrubbed surface rust on the foot pegs cyl1 exhaust and header.

Cleaned of the grime on the left side, I'll do the right side tomorrow.

left the degreaser on there too long

I just want to get it clean enough so I'll look decent and then I can take the valve cover off to check clearances.

Has anyone just RTV'd the cover back on without a gasket?
                          @$30+ dollars for just the cover gasket I might be willing to try

Comment

Please Don't RTV the valve cover on. It'll work, but if any of it pinches off inside and blocks a spring or valve or oil passage...well! Plus there's the difficulty of getting the stuff off if you need to go in there again....

If you're so thrifty, you can Try to reuse the old one if you can get it off without wrecking it...this takes time and care and even then won't always work, but a good valve cover gasket can be used more than once....a tiny smear of rtv might do the trick where it's broken or torn but more than one or two, forget it.

Best for "thrift" is make your own gaskets. Use the same thickness of gasket paper from a roll (available at your favourite auto-parts outlets)that is very reasonably priced versus the cut gasket . But This also takes time and care. You can use bit's of copper pipe to punch bolt holes..razor knife to cut oh-so carefully...
                            it's a Time-OR-Money thing...

Comment

I really just want to get it going but it seems like I need to practice patience! All the gaskets on eBay I see come from overseas. I think I found one on Amazon for $11 hopefully it's the right one.

It most definitely is a time thing! Today I had to order new rubber plugs for the idle jets so that's another week from today before I rebuild these carbs

Comment

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Time to reset...

Comment

Working...
                                X