No announcement yet.

"The" 1981 GS650G revival!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tore down and rebuilt a 1981 GS650GL a few years back. Click the link in my signature for my blog and some pics that may help you along the way.

Comment

That's a beautiful bike there Skinner,however I don't possess the time to undertake such a big project. I wish I had the guts and time to strip it down to the frame like most of you guys here. This is a great platform and resource of knowledge but I can't justify doing a full tear down just yet. Fwiw I haven't even performed a compression or leak down test lol. I probably have 2-4hrs per week to work on this bike without really carving out time from other things. This being my first and knowing I'm gonna drop it several times in the first few rides I don't want to make it look so purdy just yet!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, but don't worry about the cosmetic things yet. Get it starting, running and stopping before anything else. My pics just might show you a part here and there that you can't figure out, much like the many pics on this forum did for me.

Take one carb completely apart and put all the metal parts (no floats, no diaphragms, no choke plunger seals, etc) in Berryman's Chem Dip and let them soak for a day and move onto the next one. Follow the guide from BikeCliffs website. Then reassemble them with new o-rings from cycleorings.com. Don't forget the intake manifold o-rings - yours are probably like hard spaghetti noodles. Do this and you'll be well on your way to a much better running, more reliable bike. A half hour to an hour each day is enough time to take care of this and most of the items on the Newbie List.

Comment

I did a mild cleanse only, cleaned jets, set float heights and changed the o-rings for the float guides. I'm just waiting for the 4 rubber plugs on the idle jets , I lost two and the other pair shrunk so they fit loose.

If I can get it running and it sounds "good" I'll do the full rebuild and order the shims for the valve clearances

Comment

Originally posted by Gthing View Post
            I did a mild cleanse only, cleaned jets, set float heights and changed the o-rings for the float guides. I'm just waiting for the 4 rubber plugs on the idle jets , I lost two and the other pair shrunk so they fit loose.

If I can get it running and it sounds "good" I'll do the full rebuild and order the shims for the valve clearances
            If only someone were to mention the need to do a full cleaning and rebuild and valve adjustment BEFORE expecting it to run, let alone "right", ...

Please remember, any shortcuts taken are merely opportunities to do it over and do it right.

I do admire your optimism, but imagine how much more satisfying it would be to do it in just ONE try.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are absolutely right Steve! That's it I'm going out to the car and pulling them out the trunk for a full rebuild! Anyways! I keep checking the tracking on the plugs and for the last 3 days they have been "in transit" from Seattle and I'm 100% convinced they're lost!(Thank You USPS!)

Comment

[url=tools.rackonly.com]

[url=tools.rackonly.com]

[url=tools.rackonly.com]

Comment

After all the wait between float bowl gaskets and valve cover gaskets being lost during transit, Steve putting up with me during valve clearance adjustments (shout out to the shim club)and fighting those now damaged intake boots it runs. (Not like it should ) I was able to go around the block to check all gears, brakes etc. Placed an order for new intake boots so when they get here I can get the vacuum sync tool so it'll be ready for the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Gthing View Post
                    …. Placed an order for new intake boots so when they get here I can get the vacuum sync tool so it'll be ready for the road.
                    I suggest that you also order new OEM clamps for the carb boots and airbox boots if they have the same clamps on them - those wide "hose clamps" will damage your new boots.

Also before "it is ready for the road", you should rebuild all the brake calipers and master cylinders and fit new OEM rubber brake parts. You have attended to the carbs, but I do not see that you have gone through the braking system yet. Neglected brakes could lock up on you during a trip and result in injury/damage/possibly even death.

Judging from your previous posts, you get frustrated by waiting for parts to come in - you should rather spend some time beforehand and inspect everything and make a list of all the parts required for proper maintenance, and then just order everything together in one batch. Then it is just one wait and will save you a heap in separate shipping costs!
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Will do sir! I already made a list of all the stuff to do the brakes. My concern was to get it running before spending time and money fixing things. Now that it runs I can do brakes,pack bearings and polish up some aluminum and chrome

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X