Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New petcock, cracked fuel outlet hose, replace hose? Faulty petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New petcock, cracked fuel outlet hose, replace hose? Faulty petcock?

Hey everybody,

I've been working on my 1980 GS850L for awhile now and recently replaced the carb boots, airbox hoses, etc. At this time, I also replaced the petcock as it had dried up fuel etc. on it and looked pretty rough. I hadn't had any issues with it specifically, but thought it best to just replace it. I used the $50ish George Fix replacement.

Initially after buttoning everything up, the bike seemed to work fine (had a high idle issue that I'm still working on) but nothing else.

I had ridden the bike a very short distance (a few blocks, a few times) since replacing the petcock etc. and never noticed any leaks. But, the other night a few hours after I had added a couple gallons (I initially had a very small amount of fuel after replacing the petcock etc.) I was going to bed when the girlfriend asked if I smelled gas. I initially expected the tank was letting off some fumes, but once I looked closer I saw fuel dripping from my petcock. At this point I started to freak out and eventually removed my gas tank to stop the leak. When I did so, I realized I was an idiot and didn't replace the fuel outlet hose from the petcock to the carbs and realized the fuel had been leaking from a crack in the hose near the outlet.

I looked at my fuel tank the next morning and when I would lift it so it was level, fuel would run out of the outlet.

I checked the tank/petcock again yesterday (ensured it was set to "fuel" and not pri) and nothing would come out of the outlet when level etc. I checked again today and it was pretty much the same, however when I would set the tank level and then rest it at an angle (to ensure no fuel would come out) a small amount of fuel would drip out from the outlet.

So, I'm trying to figure out if this was an issue with the new petcock or more specific to the cracked hose I was using. I have also checked the oil and it does smell a bit like gas. I plan on changing the oil, but only once I know what else I need to do.

Sorry for the long thread, but I try to give as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance!
    1980 GS850L sigpic

Did you use the special washers under the petcock mounting bolts? Of course you did!

I recall some complaints about the 1980 leverless petcock from georgefix on here - maybe you got a defective one.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the washers were included with the new petcock...then I did. Thanks for the response.
      1980 GS850L sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoGS850L View Post
        If the washers were included with the new petcock...then I did. Thanks for the response.
        The oval o-ring was included but the special rubber bonded washers probably weren't. Reusing the old ones might cause a leak .
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Okay, I'll check when I'm home, but I don't think they were included and the old ones were probably disintegrated. Now I'll have to look into replacements.
          1980 GS850L sigpic

Comment

20180731_212120.jpg So I was finally able to take a look and appears one of the rubber washers stuck to the old petcock (see photo) and the other stuck to the bolt and is on the new petcock. It looks like I can pickup replacements here: https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...l-tank-model-t . So I plan to replace the washers/bolts, replace my cracked fuel hose, and change the oil (due to the fuel in my crankcase).
            1980 GS850L sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X