New bike, got a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike, got a problem

Hey everybody, I'm new to the Gs world as I just got my first Gs today.

Its a 1980 gs400e and apparently if its not kept on a trickle charger and its left for more than a few days the battery is dead and won't start. I should add, you can still push start it at this point. First couple things that come to mind is a bad battery, but I was told it was new a year ago. Or some kind of drain killing it, any one have any other ideas?

I have to tear into it a bit and look into it, but I was just wondering if this is a common thing with these bikes? Is there anything specific I should check or just the usual?

Any help and or ideas is appreciated.

Do this test and post figures https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...tem-QUICK-TEST

post1
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Yes these bikes do have problems with the charging system but it ultimately is an easy fix. First, follow the Quick Test procedure and post the figures so we can help you confirm if you have a problem. You will want to do this with a known good battery.

A few of the common fixes for these bikes include cleaning all of the connections and replacing those that are needed, replacing the R/R with a series type - the favorite is a Shindengen SH-775 used by Polaris - and connecting it directly to the stator.

But first, let's see those test numbers
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts -- 12.4

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts -- 12.0

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts 12.3/12.3 idle (1500rpm at 12.5

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts -- 13.5

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts -- 13.9

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v) -- 12.6

The battery was just on the charger last night and it stayed at 12.5 I started it once this morning before the tests and it stayed at 12.4 after that.

So I'm thinking a new battery to start?
        Could someone explain what the results of this test are saying?

Any idea on what I should be doing? I'm really not very good at the electrical side of things so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

I should also add, the R/R is pretty hot, I'm not sure about them, do they get hot? Is that a sign of them going bad?

Comment

Those numbers are a little bit low, but are typical of a wet-cell battery. May I presume that is what you have?
            In other words, do you have caps on the top of the battery where you can add fluid?

If that is what you have, make sure you have enough water in each cell. If it is low, add DISTILLED water, then re-charge the battery.

Yes, it is normal for a stock R/R to get rather warm, mainly because of the way it operates. It is advisable to get a replacement R/R, but do NOT get a stock replacement. There are many threads on the advantages of a series-type R/R, which is typified by the Polaris RZR and Ranger ATVs.

It is also a good idea to switch to a sealed AGM battery. (Note that it is a construction style, not a brand name.) They are sealed, no need to check the water level, usually have a bit more capacity and tend to last a bit longer. Yes, they are more expensive, but many feel it is worth it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the response steve, I do have a wat cell battery, I took a quick look at the cells and I think they are all full, but I'll check a bit closer. I'll look into the new R/R and the battery, but to my understanding it shouldn't be haveing a problem right now. Other than the battery being a little low.

Could this just be a drain somewhere in the system? Anyone ever had that before? I'm going to check for a parasitic draw when I get a chance tonight.

Any other reasons the battery would be dead after leaving it for a week?

Comment

Also does anybody know the proper amount of amps that a gs400 should be consistently drawing? If any at all?
                Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

No experience with your model 400 (we didn't get that one in the US), but most GSes would draw about 10 amps when you turn the ignition key ON. 5-6 amps through the coils, about 5 amps for the lights.

When you hit the starter, you can expect anywhere from 40-80 amps just for the starter.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick24975 View Post
                    Also does anybody know the proper amount of amps that a gs400 should be consistently drawing? If any at all?
                    Have you got a draw with the key off? There shouldn't be.
                    Disconnect the regulator and see if it goes away.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Batteries can be finacky things, especially lower priced ones. It may only be a year old but even sitting a couple of days in a discharged state can significantly lower it's life span. We can sometimes take a previous owners word at face value but keep in mind, you where not there to see how the bike was actually treated during it's life. Steve's got it right, a new battery is in order.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond to this thread, it is really awesome how many nice people are on here!

I got it figured out. It turned out to be either a badly connected positive wire right from the battery, that I fully replaced and looked like 5 other people tried to fix and join it. Or it was corroded and loose grounds. That I cleaned and tightened.

it keeps starting back up with no issues.

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                        X