Ignition Timing With a Circuit tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Timing With a Circuit tester

i have a 77 gs550 that I'm trying to set the ignition timing on. I'm using one of those circuit testers where I can hook up a banana clip to the point and the negative side to the engine and it will light up when the circuit iscomplete. The problem I'm having is no matter where I hook up the circuit testers, or a multimeter, I get no reading when I turn the crank shaft. I'll get a spark from one of the contact points, which I don't think is from a bad condenser since it doesn't happen at high rpms, I think the contact point needs to be cleaned. This is basically making it impossible to set the timing, and I'm not sure if it's due to faulty wiring on the bike which the previous owner might have messed with. The bike still runs with all pipes getting hot so I don't think there is a bad coil.

If your "circuit tester" is just a common test light, it's easy to use to set the timing.

Connect the clip to a good ground. If you can reach the battery NEGative terminal, great, otherwise any good ground point. Touch the probe to the POSitive terminal to make sure the light works.

Turn the key ON, touch the probe to the 'hot' side of the points and slowly rotate the engine. The light should be OFF most of the time. When the points open, the light will turn ON. Check the timing mark to see how close you are.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is the circuit tester that i'm using https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-A...uity/999970934. I'm hooking up the banana clip to the black ring around on of the points and then putting the point of the tester on to some metal around the engine. Even when i turn the engine slowly the light stays off the entire time. I dont know if this is the wrong tester to use, i've tried a multimeter and i couldnt read on it. Do i need to switch the banana clip to some metal on the engine and then put the tester on the point?

I'm pretty sure i set the gaps correctly. I rotated the engine until the point to the max point and then set the gap.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

I used a similar method, but i had the dyna ignition. If the bike is running it sounds like it's more a problem of the tool.... because if it wasnt gettingg any electricity it wouldnt start!!! try a harbor freight one for a couple of bucks. Make sure you're using a GOOD ground...u asked earlier about the banana clip.... YES! Try the light on something else you KNOW works... like maybe a turn signal light or something easy to get to... eliminate from there.

Comment

Working...
        X