Oil Filter recomendation for 1983 GS1100G"L"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter recomendation for 1983 GS1100G"L"

I've decided to keep my wife's GS 1100 G"L" and need to change oil and filter. I've been using FRAM filters because they include that funny looking "O" ring that the dealer charges extra for. Are there other brands of oil filters that include the proper "O" ring? Our Walmart used to carry the correct filter, but no longer do. I have Auto Zone and O'Reilley's in town as well as a Napa store. Most can order them, but I'd rather pick up off the shelf. I can also order from Dennis Kirk, but with shipping it's a little more than I want to pay.

Suggestions are appreciated

Bob Young

I was going to say i usally order a couple Frams if/when ordering something else so the shipping is already covered. And I get the Frams since they include the o-ring (that aint an O ). So, I quess I am not saying anything that you dont already know.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

K&N works. Both styles of filter cover "O ring" included. Purchased a few at "my" local O'Reilly store.

Comment

Hi-flo do a filter complete with two different orings rings HF133. You can double check here http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue

On ebay and there are lots from other sellers https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-Flo-Oil-...QAAOSwznNbGq95

i use the same hi 133 on my 81gs850 been using them for a few years now no problem.
        Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 08-15-2018, 06:08 PM.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

You are really not paying all that much extra by getting OEM filters and O-rings plus you won't risk the chance that it doesn't fit perfectly. I had problems with K&N filters that were just long enough that the cover wouldn't close down right and oil leaked from that area. I've never had a single problem with leaks from the filter area since returning to Suzuki and my cost really isn't that different.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've went back to OEM parts of most of the things I do now days. Sometimes it's not an option on the older bikes but it's suprising how many parts Suzuki still carries for something like my GS1000.

Comment

O P stated he is looking for filters he can get "off the shelf." Have purchased K&N …4 times maybe...Autozone O'Reilly, Advance etc. Never a problem. I place a single order for 6 to 8 'genuine' Suzuki filters yearly. Plus a couple of the "O Rings" and a couple of Oil drain bolt crush washers from www.PARTZILLA.com.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Another Hi-Flo 133 user here.
                Anyone need half a dozen of the squiggly seals?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I like Napa’s filter. It’s a Wix filter. Has the oring too.

Comment

I will say that the suzuki "o" ring will last several oil changes, i think my current one has maybe 5 changes on it with no flattening? The fram orings do not last like this. Suzuki filters are only 4 bucks and change at babbitts.....
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Fram filters are garbage! I ONLY use OEM Suzuki filters! Street engines, drag race, road race, whatever, I have NEVER had an issue with a Suzuki filter and I've never been to a dealer that didn't have one.
                      Ray.

Comment

I typically agree about FRAM being a bad choice in the case of the GS Ithink it's decent. It's easy to see how it's built since it's not in a spin on cartridge.

Comment

Wix and Hastings filters both come with the o-ring.
                          1981 GS 1000GLX.
                          1981 GS 1000G.
                          1981 GS 650GLX.
                          1975 TS 185.
                          1972 100. Kawasaki.
                          1968 100. Suzuki.
                          1970 Z 50. Honda.
                          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Wix and K&N are good choices. OReilly Auto Parts may have the Wix filter in stock, NAPA as well (most NAPA branded oil filters are made by Wix).

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              Another Hi-Flo 133 user here.
                              Anyone need half a dozen of the squiggly seals?
                              Ditto.
                              I'm saving them up for when I get an 1100.
                              Either that or use them for a catapult.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X