Rear brake pedal stuff on 82 gs650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake pedal stuff on 82 gs650g

Hi guys, I recently got a 1982 gs650g about two weeks ago and I started going through the basics and started changing fluids and what not. The previous owner rode the bike to my house and the brakes worked for him even thought the fluid needed to get changed desperately. Instead of the standard clear yellow it was almost a chocolate brown. So I changed the front fluid no problem and then moved to the back. After getting most of the crap fluid out the master cyclinder, the piston got stuck and no fluid came out the system even tho the resivoir had fluid in it. so I bought a rebuild kit and figured I’d change the line to ss ones. I rebuilt the cyclinder and put the lines on and started bleeding the system, fluid started running through but then the pedal got really stiff. Like once I push the pedal down then open the bleeder screw then close it and let go of the pedal and it comes back to the top, the pedal then won’t go down unless I open the screw again. Can any one help me out? Thanks!

Did you clean that super tiny return port hole in the master cylinder with a piece of piano wire or even a single strand from a normal 12v wire? That thing is blocked and will continue to not work until it is cleaned out
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Would be good for you to introduce your self some in the 'Owners" section. Do post pic.
      Yah, we need to know if you have the black one or the red one before can give good technical advice.

Originally posted by NIKKO_V View Post
      .................. the pedal then won’t go down unless I open the screw again. ............
      WHile pushing and "the pedal wont go down"... are you getting braking pressure on the pads....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I thought I got all the port holes but if its as small as you say then I could have missed it. Ill try that and see if that works out. Thanks

Comment

Thanks Redman,

When you say the black or red one, what are you referring too? To be honest, I didn't check. I'll check later and let you know.

Comment

I had the same problem. The piston (circled in pic) in the master cylinder got stuck due to corrosion / rust.
            I cleaned it up with fine sandpaper and confirmed that the MC bore was ok. Fixed.

http://Suzuki rear MC by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
            X