No announcement yet.

Bike dying when using turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is correct but I thought it had been said that the loop was still in the harness on some of the newer bikes without the headlight shut off switch. If that is the case that is a long trip for one leg of the stator to make when you could eliminate it and run directly from stator to R/R like the other two legs
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Just an update here to close the thread. I ended up replacing the stator (which showed some heat wear) and swapped my regulator and rectifier out with a combo R/R from Rick's motorsports. The bike seems to be properly charging and holding that charge.

For now, problem solved. Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by mcquillr View Post
        Just an update here to close the thread. I ended up replacing the stator (which showed some heat wear) and swapped my regulator and rectifier out with a combo R/R from Rick's motorsports. The bike seems to be properly charging and holding that charge.

For now, problem solved. Thank you for all your help!
        Uhg! ........................

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Uhg! ........................
          By "Uhg" , he means you neglected to read the stuff about series vs. shunt r/r's...
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Might be charging nicely now but the same thing is looming down the road that caused your last stator to fry. Best be cleaning the heck out of all connectors, plugs and switches to delay the inevitable. Shunt R/R's are not forgiving at all, by design Series are. I was able to run a damaged stator for a year with a Series R/R before it finally gave up. Wouldn't have lasted five weeks with a Shunt R/R.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              By "Uhg" , he means you neglected to read the stuff about series vs. shunt r/r's...
              I did read all the stuff actually and I get why series is better than shunt. I even purchased a used SH775, but I'm still not 100% clear on how to wire it up. I also probably need a connector kit.

Comment

I did read all the stuff actually and I get why series is better than shunt. I even purchased a used SH775, but I'm still not 100% clear on how to wire it up. I also probably need a connector kit.
                Simples. Three phase wires in. Pos and neg to harness bus and single point gnd.
                Piece of cake
                Not being flippant. What is unclear about wiring it in?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Get the triumph harness follow these instructions (they are for an 850) but very much the same

Cut off the two small plugs then carefully split the harness so you have one plug with two brown and two black wires twist the Browns together likewise with the blacks so you now have a plug with one brown and one black so to speak.
                  The brown connects to the red wire in the bikes harness where the original rectifier/regulator red connected to, know as the T connection on various posts on here.
                  The black connects to the single point ground see many posts on here or just use the search facility for information.
                  The three blacks on the other plug connect to the three wires that come from the stator it does not matter which wire connects to which ( there is no polarity)
                  All joints where twisted together soldered and shrink wrapped.
                  The two left over wires in the bikes harness can be taped up and tucked away as they were for the handle bar loop and are not in use.

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

Thanks fastbysuzuki! I got the correct harness and this setup makes sense. Unfortunately, the SH775 I bought on eBay dosen’t seem to be working properly. I ran a diode test on the R/R using a voltmeter and didn’t see any voltage from the forward bias.

I guess I need to find another R/R

Comment

Thanks fastbysuzuki! I got the correct harness and this setup makes sense. Unfortunately, the SH775 I bought on eBay dosen’t seem to be working properly. I ran a diode test on the R/R using a voltmeter and didn’t see any voltage from the forward bias.

I guess I need to find another R/R
                      the diode test only works on the old shunt r/r s ; stick It in.

Comment

Oh awesome!

Comment

I just put the SH775 in tonight. All levels test out and all my lights are much brighter than before. Definitely a good move! Thanks guys!

Comment

I just put the SH775 in tonight. All levels test out and all my lights are much brighter than before. Definitely a good move! Thanks guys!
                            I think it's fair to say that we put up with a lot of sub standard performance because we have no idea of how good things could be.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Definitely true! I don't think my bike has ever run as good as it does now and a few years back I was commuting on it daily.

Comment

Working...
                              X