Rear shock shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock shopping

I am looking for some rear suspension to replace the stockers on a recently aquired 850G. The consensus had been to go with Hagon both for its price/performance and for the customer service. But Hagon USA and particularly Dave Quinn who rendered that great service have left the business and the only option for US customers is to deal with Hagon UK. Without Quinn's personal service I would prefer not to deal out of country if there are alternatives. So I undertook a little project to see what is available from the U.S.

As of current date it appears the rear suspension options for GSers that don't start approaching the value of the bike are the followiing. The information is taken directly from the Progressive and Ikon websites plus a phone call to Progressive to confirm. Prices rounded to nearest dollar.

Progressive
    412-4211C -- Chrome / standard springs / $300 ($30 less on some sites)
    412-4212C -- Chrome / heavy springs / $300 ($30 less on some sites)

430-4211C -- Chrome / standard springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
    430-4212C -- Chrome / heavy springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
    430-4211C -- Black / standard springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
    430-4212C -- Black / heavy springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)

You also have the option of purchasing 12 series dampers and springs separately with the total cost about the same as the assembled 412s.

IKON
    7610-1418 -- $420 (all black no cover) up to $580 (chrome spring, body, and cover) [just going from black to chrome spring is $120]

YSS
    E 302-330 T-01 / $349
    Z 362-330vTRL01 / $499 (adjustable damping)

If anyone knows of any other options or has other knowledge to share I will edit/update this OP with it.
    Last edited by dpep; 09-08-2018, 12:13 AM.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Dpep, are those the only Progressive shocks that will fit the 850? There are some on Amazon for under $300 but not the part numbers you listed from what I see using this tiny phone screen to search.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

YSS shocks look pretty nice. For $500 they have a set that comes with adjustable damping.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That is to bad about Quinn. He helped me select what I needed and what service. I do have to ask though .. why are you reluctant to order from england? Does the shipping cost make it a non bargain?
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
          That is to bad about Quinn. He helped me select what I needed and what service. I do have to ask though .. why are you reluctant to order from england? Does the shipping cost make it a non bargain?
          Alex
          Certainly that plus if by chance I receive an incorrect or defective part the return is likely to be more work and expense than for a domestic purhase. Also the wait times are longer for international. If there no alternatives or if there were some clear advantage I would have no problem ordering from out of country. But the clear advantage Hagons had was Quinn.
          Last edited by dpep; 09-07-2018, 10:57 PM.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Dpep, are those the only Progressive shocks that will fit the 850? There are some on Amazon for under $300 but not the part numbers you listed from what I see using this tiny phone screen to search.
            The 412s are sold on Amazon and several other places for 269.95 (300 - 30). The interesting thing is that when I was able to pull up the 420-4212 on Amazon it said that it did not fit my bike. That directly contradicted what was on the Progressive website which is the reason I called Progressive. The rep assured me that the 412-4212 (heavy) and the 412-4211 (standard) were the right part numbers for the 850.

Progressive offers several different model numbers for a 13 inch shock in the 412 series. I assume they each have a different spec for the internals and/or the spring.

Nature bats last.

Comment

British Cycle Supply is a distributor for Hagon. they are based out of Nova Scotia Can, but have locations in USA. I ordered my Suzuki rear shock from them and it came from England through New York to Canada as the import costs were lower that way.

www.britcycle.com
              Last edited by derwood; 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM. Reason: suzuzki
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

+1 for British Cycle Supply. Great guys to deal with, he was able to get me parts for my VM33's at an excellent price, better than Z1 actually and was able to get me more genuine Mikuni parts!
                They are not just British parts!
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Whatever you're working on, whether it's a refrigerator, a Camry, or GS850G, Amazon's fitment data is worse than useless. Plus, they like to show you stuff with a part number that's one digit off in hopes that maybe it'll be close enough...

Anyway, it's tough to tell whether Progressive's various part numbers for shock assemblies correspond to different functional specs or simply to cosmetics. For the most part, the shock bodies seem to be the same within the shock "series" (so the same damping specs - lots of marketing wank about "high performance ride control" and "multi-staged velocity sensitive valving") but there are different spring rates available. Other than that, the variations seem to be cosmetic -- various combinations of black or chrome, spring rates, styles of spring covers, etc.

What is truly aggravating is that Progressive offers higher spec twin shocks such as the 490, 944, and 970 series, but their fitment data doesn't include our bikes. What I'd love to find (but haven't been able to locate) is a chart showing dimensional and functional specs; it's quite likely there are other options that would work fine on a GS but they simply haven't updated their information in 20 years.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 09-12-2018, 10:03 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    YSS shocks look pretty nice. For $500 they have a set that comes with adjustable damping.
                    I like mine quite well, but I paid even more to get separately adjustable compression and rebound.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Another aggravation is that some of the old fitment data from the suppliers is just plain wrong. The best way to fit a shock is to measure an original shock and go from there.

Jim
                      1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                      1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

I don’t know that much about shocks but I have aNIB set of piggyback style for a GS 1100E.D9E588C8-99B7-4EF6-B730-7242093A46B4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Whatever you're working on, whether it's a refrigerator, a Camry, or GS850G, Amazon's fitment data is worse than useless. Plus, they like to show you stuff with a part number that's one digit off in hopes that maybe it'll be close enough...
                          When we had an Amazon account at work what we found was that Amazon only allows one listing per part number. Whoever submits it first then becomes the "principal" listing & then other people can list their pricing for that same part.
                          If Amazon fulfills a part then it will automatically adjust it's pricing to beat the rest by a penny. It's a rigged game.

What this does is lead to other people adding spurious additions to part numbers in the quest of becoming the principal listing party. What also is very frustrating is that sometimes the original listing is correct in part number but incorrect in other areas such as what it fits etc.
                          There is no way to modify that once it is listed.

In short it's a big frustrating mess & the only way to control it is to be the only supplier for a certain part on Amazon & control others access via distributor contracts. Not that straight forward & a lot of older companies were too late to the game (i.e. their dist. channels got to Amazon before them) and as such have lost control.

Anyway... thought it might lend some insight. Amazon is not as easy to deal with as many assume.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm also on the ZRX1200 forum. When upgrading ZRX shocks, most pick Ohlins or BiTubo from Italy. I got in a group buy, which happens often. Picked up these BiTubo's sprung for my weight with compression damping on a group buy for $350. Will be trying them out next season.

YSS offers a 14" shaft which quickens steering up considerably, but I believe is only offered in their high end shock. With good quality rear shocks, Race Tech valves w/good springs along with a already comfortable seat, GS's handle very well and do have all day comfort
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by limeex2; 09-28-2018, 08:53 AM.
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                              I am looking for some rear suspension to replace the stockers on a recently aquired 850G. The consensus had been to go with Hagon both for its price/performance and for the customer service. But Hagon USA and particularly Dave Quinn who rendered that great service have left the business and the only option for US customers is to deal with Hagon UK. Without Quinn's personal service I would prefer not to deal out of country if there are alternatives. So I undertook a little project to see what is available from the U.S.

As of current date it appears the rear suspension options for GSers that don't start approaching the value of the bike are the followiing. The information is taken directly from the Progressive and Ikon websites plus a phone call to Progressive to confirm. Prices rounded to nearest dollar.

Progressive
                              412-4211C -- Chrome / standard springs / $300 ($30 less on some sites)
                              412-4212C -- Chrome / heavy springs / $300 ($30 less on some sites)

430-4211C -- Chrome / standard springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
                              430-4212C -- Chrome / heavy springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
                              430-4211C -- Black / standard springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)
                              430-4212C -- Black / heavy springs / $500 ($10 less on some sites)

You also have the option of purchasing 12 series dampers and springs separately with the total cost about the same as the assembled 412s.

IKON
                              7610-1418 -- $420 (all black no cover) up to $580 (chrome spring, body, and cover) [just going from black to chrome spring is $120]

YSS
                              E 302-330 T-01 / $349
                              Z 362-330vTRL01 / $499 (adjustable damping)

If anyone knows of any other options or has other knowledge to share I will edit/update this OP with it.
                              Problem I’m having with Progressives is that they don’t have any with silver bodies. Sure you can get silver springs, but the inside is black, and more importantly the upper and lower mounting points are black, and I don’t want the silver covers that hide some of the black body. I want stainless steel or chrome piston bodies and mounting points, like my original Showas.

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X