No announcement yet.

Rear shock shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased a pair of Hagon rear shocks and enjoy them,have used them before on other bikes and I'm pleased with there performance.
    I tried reaching Dave Quiin as before but found he went out of business, I miss his website and helpful tech experience. I called Hagon in the UK and they recommended British Cycle Supply,Mark helped me with some tech and I did recieve the shocks after they made an order,it took about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
      Loving my new Hagons. They’re made of stainless steel, unlike most of the other chrome or painted shocks.
      These are I believe the Hagon Nitro shocks, and they are not available in clevis mount lowers used on many GS models, however they will fit all shaft drive GS models - which use eye-to-eye configurations, and the GS 550, 450, 425, and 400. All other GS models, 750, 1000 chain drive, 1100E use a clevis lower mount. Therefore you cannot get the stainless body shocks for those models unless something has changed in recent years with the Hagon lineup.

I believe the rare GS650E chain drive model likely uses the eye to eye configuration also?
      Last edited by Chuck78; 05-11-2019, 10:57 AM.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
        These are I believe the Hagon Nitro shocks, and they are not available in clevis mount lowers used on many GS models, however they will fit all shaft drive GS models - which use eye-to-eye configurations, and the GS 550, 450, 425, and 400. All other GS models, 750, 1000 chain drive, 1100E use a clevis lower mount. Therefore you cannot get the stainless body shocks for those models unless something has changed in recent years with the Hagon lineup.

I believe the rare GS650E chain drive model likely uses the eye to eye configuration also?
        Didn't one of the talented machinists here fabricate an adapter for the clevis to eye conversion? Maybe it was a spacer or something, but I'd swear I saw something like an adapter recently.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

What spring rates are we generally going on the Gs? I've only had bad luck with Koni, I hope Icon is better. I have Hagons on wo bikes. I've had progressives. Some I've liked,some I haven't. Usually the problem was too high of a spring rate, which was something the vendor kind of talked me into. The Z series I'm having trouble deciphering the order form. I don't hatr the stock shocks, but on the bike I'm on, they are past it.

I just sold a GS850G, and may invest in some Racetech shocks with the proceeds. Their form is a PITA.
          Last edited by 850 Combat; 07-31-2020, 05:35 PM.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I would talk to the guys at Restocycle. https://www.restocycle.com/
            They are an authorized Ikon dealer. I have received good advice from them on a couple proceedures.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I would talk to the guys at Restocycle. https://www.restocycle.com/
              They are an authorized Ikon dealer. I have received good advice from them on a couple proceedures.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

For those that might still be following this thread, Z1 Enterprises carries Hagon shocks now.

They have always had decent customer service, might give them a call to see if they can re-spring them for you.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just put forks with Racetech springs and emulators on the 1000G here yesterday. I don't hate the original shocks, but these are wearing out, and don't damp like they should. The bike has become unbalanced feeling with a soggy rear end and a much improved front. I can't afford $900 for a set of Racetech shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    Just put forks with Racetech springs and emulators on the 1000G here yesterday. I don't hate the original shocks, but these are wearing out, and don't damp like they should. The bike has become unbalanced feeling with a soggy rear end and a much improved front. I can't afford $900 for a set of Racetech shocks.
                    A Racetech front end definitely highlights the rear end problems. $900 at YSS will get you shocks with the same features as about $2000 at Racetech. At least, that was the case when I got mine. Hagons or YSS, should be able to get you set up with the correct damping and springs after you tell them some things about your bike and yourself. With emulators up front, the Hagons' damping will feel crude. They're the equivalent of a damper rod fork.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well, the YSS shocks have a piggyback, which is cool, but will interfere with my Samsonite luggage rack, I'm pretty certain. The luggage rack stays.

That leaves Ikon, which is supposed like a Koni, Progressive, which is the remnants of S&W, and Hagon,which is supposedly the ashes from Girling. I've had lots of Girlings. I'bought Hagons and I've bought Koni and S&W, and Progressive. Looks like I'm stuck currently with the usual suspects. I've liked and disliked both Hagons and Girlings, and it all came down to the spring rate and damping options. PO put Hagons on my other 1000G, and my 1000E has them too. Leaning toward Progressive just for ease of purchase. Wish I knew which spring rate I should use. IKONS are $420.

Comment

A good thing about Progressive shocks- you can use your original springs with several of them...compare the spring diameter that Progressive will offer with them to your old springs saves $ and maybe getting overhard springs...IE: if the shock itself isn't moving upndown with normal riding, it isn't doing anything useful...

I'm actually ok with most of the shocks that came on my bikes,cranked to one notch preset... though I sometimes will swap some spare 88 Honda ones onto the 81 400T that has a pretty stiff set (progressive-wound coils that I don't like so much)
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-08-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          Well, the YSS shocks have a piggyback, which is cool, but will interfere with my Samsonite luggage rack, I'm pretty certain. The luggage rack stays.

That leaves Ikon, which is supposed like a Koni, Progressive, which is the remnants of S&W, and Hagon,which is supposedly the ashes from Girling. I've had lots of Girlings. I'bought Hagons and I've bought Koni and S&W, and Progressive. Looks like I'm stuck currently with the usual suspects. I've liked and disliked both Hagons and Girlings, and it all came down to the spring rate and damping options. PO put Hagons on my other 1000G, and my 1000E has them too. Leaning toward Progressive just for ease of purchase. Wish I knew which spring rate I should use. IKONS are $420.
                          I have the GK luggage on mine, and had to mount the shocks with the reservoir ahead of the shock instead of behind. I also had to trim the luggage rack just slightly.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            I have the GK luggage on mine, and had to mount the shocks with the reservoir ahead of the shock instead of behind. I also had to trim the luggage rack just slightly.
                            Had not considered putting them on backwards. Thanks, I'll take a close look. The Samsonite racks I use are steel tubing. I don't see trimming as an option. As to reusing old springs, no. I want stiffer ones.

Thankfully, I don't give a rip how stock they look. Chrome, black, SS I won't look when I'm in the seat. Found the set of 1000E Hagon SS shocks I thought my nephew had taken when I gave him a running 1000E.
                            Last edited by 850 Combat; 08-18-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Gazi also makes shocks that fit the GS , rebuildable and adjustable lenght. I bought mine from EMP.
                              1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Working...
                              X