Another new member from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new member from the UK

Hi all, My name is Andy, I am a retired automotive designer who moved back to my home town of Hull after spending 13 years working in the US, 11 yrs in Detroit and 2 yrs in Ohio. My biking interested started at the age of 15, building my first engine from a box of bits at the age of 17. I started riding a Yamaha RD before progreessing to a Honda CB500 four and then in 1976 I purchased the first GS750B to arrive at my local dealer. Within a few weeks I was contacted by Suzuki UK asking me if I wanted to upgrade by B model to a DB, i.e. twin disk front end. This was a reaction to an article written in a German magazine stating that the bike was dangerous with one one disk at the front. Suzuki had just launched the GT750 kettle with a twin disk set up so Suzuki were able to use some of the parts from the GT to make a quick modification to the GS. I don’t think the DB model was ever launched in the US hence why most of the early 750’s with a single disk front end can be found in the US. I kept my GS750 until 1979 when I went to university. During my university education I had the chance to spend nearly a year working for a GP team in the UK. I worked for a company called Armstrong’s, an automotive component manufacturer who diversified. They purchased CCM in Bolten and changed the name to Armstrong Motorcycles. They ran a 250/350 GP team using Rotax 2 stroke engines. I worked in the engineering group which was trying the develop a 350cc engine similar in design to the Rotax but with a few unique designs. I had the chance to go to a couple of GP’s and some testing to see how they did. After university I had a break from biking for a few years but then I purchased an ST1100 which I replaced it by a CB1100XX Blackbird. I sold up again as I took off to live in Detroit. Although I did pass my US bike test I never did own my own machine in the US. On returning to the UK in 2012 I purchased another ST1100 which I still own today, I had a big accident when I was 19 years old which left me with a bad back needing a spinal fusion in 2011. As a result I am a little restricted what I can ride. I couple of years ago I purchased a 1978 GS750E which I have been restoring. I have completed a full mechanical restoration and whilst I had the enigine out to get the frame powder coated I decided to give the engine an overhaul and replace the worn out clutch. Unfortunately things did not go well as, I had my engine parts vapour blasted, the company that did the blasting did not seal off the oilways and not long after the rebuild my camshaft bearings failed I tried to find a 2nd hand replacement in the UK but I could not find a good quality one. I tracked down a new GS750N head in Holland at CMS, it would fit my block with minimal changes. It was a very expensive mistake! I am now in the process of getting the carbs set up, when I purchased the bike it would run but not very well so I stripped and cleaned the carbs in my ultra sonic cleaner. Due to the above I have not had much chance to ride the bike and get things sorted. It is quite a contrast to ride my ST1100 and then hop on GS750 which is 100Kg lighter and a lot more agile. I have to thank the support and help I have already received from the forum members to get my carbs set up. I am just waiting for a couple of parts and I should to ready to ride it. This winter I need to get the paint work sorted and finish my seat restoration. I also want to replace the exhaust, I have a mix of original downpipes and collectors and aftermarket silencers which have required some welding. I would like to keep the originality so I may purchase a custom built 4 into 2 stainless system. I also have a 2 stroke project to keep me busy, it is a 1976 RD400C which one of my options I considered when I purchased my first GS750B back in 1976.

That is an impressive background.
    Welcome to the site.
    Not much info on Armstrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong-CCM_Motorcycles
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi Andy and Welcome,
      I seized cam bearings twelve miles after a rebuild.
      Usual, blocked riser.
      Not a nice feeling.
      Only myself to blame on that one.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Hi and welcome from a fellow UK owner.

Comment

Working...
        X