Aftermarket Main jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Main jets

Opened the carbs on my 1985 GS1150 and find some of the main jets are stamped RD and others CIR . Not regular mikuni marking stamps and not familiar with these. Mikuni has a square inside of a square stamped on the head of their jets. Just wanting to know if anyone has used these jets and if they can be trusted to meter accurately . Thanks for any insight you can lend.

Terry
    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Personally i wouldnt, but i also never heard of those ones you said

Comment

Terry, the numbers on Dynojet mains and others vary. It doesn't matter (as you know) what the # is if the hole is the size it wants and it works. This is one of the reasons I only buy STRICTLY Mikuni jets, from Sudco.
      Ray.

Comment

Ive seen the RD ones before they are an aftermarket. I try to always use the genuine Mikuni or Keihin (depending on what carbs Im working on) as Ive heard stories of the aftermarket ones not metering accurately.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Like Ray mentioned, it's the actual hole size that matters. Not everyone labels that size hole the same way, and not everyone is as careful to ensure that it's the proper size hole for that label.

At the very least, I would at least ensure that all four jets are from the same manufacturer.

Another thing to be aware of is that some "mechanics" will drill out the jets instead of getting the proper ones. When they do that, you will be wondering how your 120 jets are running rich when you have pods and a pipe.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X