Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to do my first oil change- recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to do my first oil change- recommendations?

I'm sure there is some variation on opinion, but what weight of oil should I use on my frequently ridden GS450L? I live in the midwest and my garage is not heated, if that makes a difference. Once it gets below 45 I won't be riding, but that's still a couple months away and even then we frequently get decent days.. Should I do synthetic like I do with my car?

It looks like the correct K&N filter is KN133- but would that be a good choice? It takes a week to get it shipped so I can check Napa or elsewhere for a Wix if that would be better.

Thank you much!

If you look on the oil cap, it says to use 10w-40. If you look in manuals, it will say 10w-40 can be used just about any time, if it is going to stay above 70° or so, you can use 20w-50. The one thing that is VERY important is to NOT use any oil that has the API rating of "Energy Conserving". Look in the API 'donut' on the back label, the outer rim should be blank. EC oil has friction modifiers that do not play well with a wet clutch.

Synthetic? Some do, some don't (or WON'T ), claiming "it's too slippery" or "it causes leaks". It's always fun to start an oil thread because the discussion gets heated rather quickly. I will simply say that two of the forum favorites for oil are both Rotella products. If you prefer 'dino' oil, use the T4 15w-40 in the white jug. If you want to go synthetic, use the T6 5w-40 in the blue jug. Get it in a gallon jug, it's cheaper that way, and you will have some extra to top off, if needed, before your next oil change. Personally, I use synthetic and have never had any oil-related failures.

Filters are also a highly-personal choice. Some insist on only Suzuki filters and will stock up on them. Others will use K&N, Wix and others. Feelings are a bit mixed on Fram, but that's what I have available easily, and again, have had no oil-related failures.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

10w40 Castrol and whatever oil filter fits works ok for me. But, if you like synthetics and like to spend money on your baby, get that.. for bikes. I expect it's better than what I use (though I'm in the "early and often" camp...).... I tried all the diesel stuff for pick-up trucks others like but with very few exceptions I found them not good in the gearbox.

Comment

My GS1000 gets a steady dose of the Rotella 15w40. Note the label lists is as a diesel oil. A lot of us use this because it contains good amounts of zinc that works for the older bikes. You might also find something similar to the Rotella brand at farm supply stores like Tractor supply or farm fleet, not sure what's available in your area.
        I use the Hi Flo filters available at some m/c parts places, or you can get it online from Amazon I believe.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          My GS1000 gets a steady dose of the Rotella 15w40. Note the label lists is as a diesel oil. A lot of us use this because it contains good amounts of zinc that works for the older bikes. You might also find something similar to the Rotella brand at farm supply stores like Tractor supply or farm fleet, not sure what's available in your area.
          I use the Hi Flo filters available at some m/c parts places, or you can get it online from Amazon I believe.
          With a plain bearing crank, the zinc that is needed for the roller crank GSs isn't so relevant. The 6 speed gearbox is prone to binding, missing shifts, and an elusive neutral; I have my suspicions as to why, but the only thing that seems to totally fix it is high end M/C specific synthetics. I just gave up dealing with it - trying to find a less expensive alternative - and went to either Motul or Maxima synthetics and go about 5-6K miles between changes.

Oils heavier than 10w40 seem irrelevant for this engine. They run cool and have a 3L sump with lots of finning. It's typically about 90 degrees here in summer and I've never felt the need or had a problem.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

I have been using the hiflo filters mostly because they have a great gasket. When I tried a cheapo brand that was 2 for $5 I couldnt get a seal. Hard to go wrong with K&N but the hiflo is about 2 bucks less.

I am one of those that swear by synthetics but I live in a place only slightly hotter than hell for 1/3 the year. This summer has been 20w50 lucas synthetic. You can find it on sale for 8.99 sometimes but the regular price by me is 9.99.

My bike ran and shifted like a dream and ran cool even when I was out on days that were 115F. I dont try adn save money on oil. I do two changes a year and they are usually based on season. One end of may beginning of June when I go to 20w50 and I will switch back over to 10w40 in about 2 weeks when we are mostly out of 100 degree days.

Good oil is cheaper than a rebuild and I like my bike.

Comment

I've been using the KN133 on my GS450 for a few years now. Can't go wrong there. Another Shell Rotella 10w 40 vote from me.
              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
              1977 GS550
              1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I have used Rotella 10w-40 diesel and it works good. I noticed an "elusive neutral" and the occasional downshift, too, even though the bike is solid through and through...wasn't until I read this thread that I realized it could be due to oil choice. That said, not too worried about hunting for neutral on occasion, and the cost savings are signifigant, especially given that I just don't rack up enough miles vs. time passed requiring a change. So, Rotella for me, too...

Comment

I use synth on the new bike, dino on the old. And when it comes to time/miles, I'm obsessive compulsive. Got some new oil and a filter sitting around? Yeah, I know it's only been 600 miles, but let's do it!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi-Flo filters & Delo 15-40 diesel oil.
                    But oil and filter prefferences aside:
                    Use some grease to hold your o-ring in the groove when replacing your filter cover & be careful not to over-tighten the acorn nuts!

Comment

I use the Shell Rotella T4 and Hi Flo oil filter in my 82 GS450T and it's a great deal for an oil change.I'm certain if I used Lucas,etc it would shift a little better.
                      These wet clutch motorcycles need the special additives to engage & disengage smoothly;automotive specific oils don't have that and they cause the clutch friction plates to slip:not good.I also recently installed new OEM factory Suzuki brand clutch friction plates.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! in clutch operation ! Like going from night to day.
                      The PO must have used automotive type oil with friction modifiers and w/o the special zinc additive package that comes in the Rotella or motorcycle specific oil:the clutch was slipping all the time and causing the engine/trans to operate much hotter than usual,which also causes many shifting irregularities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        I'm sure there is some variation on opinion, but what weight of oil should I use on my frequently ridden GS450L? (...)
                        As you can plainly infer from the replies so far, stay "around" 10W40 and some oil that's fine for wet clutches, and you'll be fine. Personally, I just about throw any 10W40 in there and don't give two sh!ts about a brand, but, and that's what I see as the most important thing, especially on a frequently used bike:

Change your oil regularly. Personally, I'm changing the oil almost yearly on my bikes, and I'm using them throughout the year. I don't think one needs to go to shorter intervals, unless, maybe if you're touring through Mongolia or some-such...since I'm commuting, I'm distribute around 10'000 km's per year between my bikes. In addition to some vacation tours.

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                        I have been using the hiflo filters mostly because they have a great gasket. When I tried a cheapo brand(...)
                        Funny, HiFlo is the 'cheap' brand around here, but in my experience they're quite good (as far as one can assess an oil filter...). The gasket came in very handy on rebuilds.
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

fwiw, the suzuki oring/gasket is good for several oil changes, I have a few in stock at home but have been using the same one for.....i dunno, 7 changes or so? I use suzuki filters and rotella synth.
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                          X