Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this crack as soul-crushing as I think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this crack as soul-crushing as I think it is?

Hey everybody, bike went down and I noticed this crack after getting it back up. I just finished paying for the most recent work I needed to get it roadworthy two days ago, so this is only slightly the most devastating thing that's ever happened in my life. I've been looking for local welders, but I was wondering what advice anyone might have or how bad the damage looks. It was completely my fault but could not have come at a worse time.
    Attached Files

I cant tell if that is the stator cover or the ignition cover. I am going to assum that since I dont see oil everywhere that its the ignition side but cant swear. Maybe another pic further back.

If its the ignition cover .. its a non issue. Its ugly but you could probably scare one up on ebay but its certainly safe to ride. I had the cover off of mine for some 20 miles as I worked out the timing and such. Even if its the stator cover .. you should still be able to find one there.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Boriqua. Here a few pictures from farther back

So it should be okay to ride if its a crack on the ignition cover?

Comment

If it's the stator cover, just fill with JB Weld and ride until you locate a replacement
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ignition cover - duct tape or JB Weld to keep water out.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You are perfectly fine to ride it. Sleep easy. I know how these things can get at you but your cool.

Do me a favor .. dont put no damn duct tape on your bike

Jb weld should do you and I took a quick look and there were plenty used on ebay. If you get a new used one you can sand it out and polish it or paint it .. unless you plan on dropping your bike again!!

I am pretty sure its safe to say that everyone here has dropped their bike at least once.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

It is still available from Suzuki for $49, so used should be about half or less than that.
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody, I can't even describe the relief I'm feeling. I'll be getting that JB Weld either today or tomorrow and work on it over the weekend. Does this look like a good replacement?

And Boriqua, I wish I could say that this was the first and last time it was dropped haha

Comment

I just looked at your link and see that it was sold.

Fbody_mike mentioned that a new one is still available from Suzuki for about $49. I verified that. The one in your link was $60. Hopefully it was at least free shipping.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Buy Suzuki 11381-31300 - CONTACT BREAKER COVER. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

There are a couple of other online sources as well or drop in at your local Suzuki.

Comment

Order a new or used on replace.carry on

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                        You are perfectly fine to ride it. Sleep easy. I know how these things can get at you but your cool.

Do me a favor .. dont put no damn duct tape on your bike

Jb weld should do you and I took a quick look and there were plenty used on ebay. If you get a new used one you can sand it out and polish it or paint it .. unless you plan on dropping your bike again!!

I am pretty sure its safe to say that everyone here has dropped their bike at least once.
                        It was the previous owner! Honest....

Seriously, I have not dropped one since the 70's. But the new combination of a 700 pound bike and advancing age means the Connie will be going down at some point. Some combinations of angles, short legs, and stop signs have been really close. It makes a GS seem positively small....
                        Last edited by bobgroger; 09-22-2018, 09:59 PM.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                          It was the previous owner! Honest....

Seriously, I have not dropped one since the 70's. But the new combination of a 700 pound bike and advancing age means the Connie will be going down at some point. Some combinations of angles, short legs, and stop signs have been really close. It makes a GS seem positively small....
                          From personal past experience, C10's and C14's are waaay too easy to drop. If you have it in your budget, you should get some tip over protection on your C14. So much cheaper than plastic etc. My son has a 13 C14 that has been down on both sides. He dropped it in Feb and broke his leg and toe along with a splinter fracture. $4600 on the bike and about $50,000 in his leg. The other side was from a riding buddy that rode it once and fell over at the end of his driveway. He chose to back it out instead of making a u-turn through his yard. He went too slow imo and got out where his feet wouldn't reach the ground. Down he went. That was about $700 that vanished just for parts. I really try to watch what I do so that I don't put myself in a situation that would contribute to dropping his or my bike. I would also advise to get sliders for the final drive. The final drive pivot point grinds on the ground when a C14 goes down. Final drives are cheap on ebay. They are $1195 new. Ouch! Sorry for the thread hijack. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Comment

I have the same crack on the front side. No biggie.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                            X