82 GS750E Runs Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750E Runs Hot

My 82 GS750e has only 14,400 miles on it.
    The engine runs strong and starts easily even on cold mornings.
    BUT, when I run the engine above 60 miles per hour for ten minutes or so the oil temp needle starts to shake up and down then keeps rising until it hits 310 degrees. The bike runs OK and I can commute to work and back, but I'm afraid I'll overheat the engine if a take a ride other than to work.

I baby the engine and change the oil every 1000 miles and have changed the spark plugs twice. They look normal BTW.
    The carbs were rebuilt 8,800, because the bike sat for12 years before I got it
    I took the bike to an experienced mechanic, but so far he has not been able to figure out the source of the problem.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by 82Suzie; 09-29-2018, 12:11 AM.
    1982 Suzuki GS750E
    1979 Suzuki GS750E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
    1977 HD CR1000
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400
    1974 Honda CB750

I’d try a new sending unit before going any farther.

Comment

Quick way to verify the oil temp and know if the problem is a faulty oil temp gauge or not. Go to Walmart (or wherever) and buy a digital cooking thermometer for less than $10. They're commonly used for checking internal temps of meat, fry oil, or candy mixtures, read up to 500 deg and have an instant readout. When your engine oil gauge reads 300 or so, stop, (shut the engine off lol) put the bike on the center stand, wait until oil is visible in the lower half of the sight window and unscrew your oil fill cap. Stick the thermometer tip into the oil and take a reading.

Normal oil temp should be between 150F and 210F depending on the air temperature. On a 90 deg day, it will probably be around 180F-190F.
      Last edited by earlfor; 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Did your mechanic check to see if you are running lean. I was having a similar issue when I first hot my bike going. Checked and my plugs were white. A little tuning and sealing and solved.

As an aside... does anyone know of a quality oil temp gauge that replaces the cap for the suzuki. I had one on a Harley and liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
          Did your mechanic check to see if you are running lean. I was having a similar issue when I first hot my bike going. Checked and my plugs were white. A little tuning and sealing and solved.

Checked the sending unit, checked the temp against a digital unit, there was a smll10 degree difference, checked for lean carburation, checked the plugs, but nothing that would help so far other than confirming that it isn't my imagination.
          1982 Suzuki GS750E
          1979 Suzuki GS750E
          1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
          1977 HD CR1000
          1977 Kawasaki KZ400
          1974 Honda CB750

Comment

I have to wonder, what oil are you using in it? The popular consensus around here is Shell Rotella 15-40 T-4... Oil can have a major effect on the temperature of your bike, as it is 1/3 of it's cooling system... Do you have an oil cooler?
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
            X