Gold paint on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold paint on wheels

Hey gang,after having my red 83 1100E for 35 years now I’m thinking about painting the cast part of the wheels gold. I have 2 spare sets of 82 and 83 wheels to experiment on. Anyone have any pics with this done already?

gold is usually a tough color to spray unless you are using professional automotive paint and all the correct supplies. Most of those "metallic" colors dont always come out metallic. If you're using a rattle can type of gold, make sure you take the time to correctly prep the rim to do this. Good luck and post some pics when ur done!

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
      Hey gang,after having my red 83 1100E for 35 years now I’m thinking about painting the cast part of the wheels gold. I have 2 spare sets of 82 and 83 wheels to experiment on. Anyone have any pics with this done already?
      Try looking back in the Riding Game. Eric used to get tags with Goldie, his black and gold GS. Probably look around 2014.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Or check Canadian / non US market GS1150 / GS1100efe pictures.
        Personally I'm not fond of the look, but it's not my bike.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Most folks I've known over the years opt to have their rims powder coated, much more durable than paint and surprisingly pretty affordable.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

All the 1150's we got over here had gold wheels

Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I would powder coat but I’m not sure about the machined surfaces which I want to leave as is. I’ll talk to the powder guy about it. Looking at the posted pics I really like the red body gold wheels. Plus the spare 83 wheels I have to experiment with have a fresh set of tires. However right now at 40 degrees,sunny and crystal clear out I’m heading south to Milwaukee Oregon for a motorcycle swap meet. Should be fun

Comment

Powder coat is the most durable, however, it's a lot of work taping up the machined surfaces to obtain the stock look.

Realistically, a rattle can of epoxy will be very durable if you tape up the wheels and do them at home - the areas with paint are rough cast so as long as they are free of oil/grime the paint will adhere quite well.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I can paint with epoxy and do a nice job,kinda looking for color samples on bikes right now.

Comment

Here’s the front wheel and disc baking in the sun, getting ready to do the rear. Any comments on the color? Too much or just right? This is a spare set of wheels/tires so if I decide I don’t like it I can put the originals back on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

140B1039-503F-489F-94C3-16103FCFE041.jpgAll done ready for a ride in the sun

Comment

Looks like it came out great!!

Comment

Thanks, I wasn’t sure about the gold at first,thought it might be too garish.

Comment

Working...
                          X