Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 80's GS1100 Project Questions

Hi Gang,

I wanted to buy the Suzuki GSX1400 that Suzuki doesn't sell here in the states, but after doing tons of research, I learned that you would catch hell trying to get one shipped over here, and the damn thing would have to be damn-near disassembled before it would be allowed in the country.(not worth the aggravation)

I gave up on that bike and briefly thought about getting a Kawasaki ZRX1200 and just blow out the engine to maximize on power, but I'd really prefer to stick with Suzuki's, as they're my favorite bikes.

Having said all of that....I've decided to go in a radical direction and get an 80 or 81 GS1100 frame, stuff a "worked" Bandit 1200 or 1250 motor into her, bolt on an aluminum box rear swing-arm from a more modern Suzi, bolt on beefier upside-down front forks from a more modern Suzi, and fit the rest of her out with bigger brakes and all the other usual goodies people put on restomod projects.

I've read through many threads in here and elsewhere, and I've done a lot of research on this but I still have a few questions.

1. Will a Bandit 1200 motor bolt into an 80 or 81 GS1100 frame with little to no issues and clear everything it needs to clear?

2. What would be the best, recommended oversize piston kit & modern carb set-up that would make a Bandit 1200 scream but still make her civilized for back-road Sunday morning riding or traffic clogged highways without overheating? (my definition of "scream" is a bike that can do at least 150 mph minimum)

3. Will the tank & side panels from an 80 or 81 European GSX1100 bolt right on and look/fit correct, or are the attachment holes/points off/different?

Any & all answers are welcome, and thanks in advance........

Engine is not a bolt in. It's been done before but some work on the mounts is needed. Not sure about the piston kit or side covers.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Engine is not a bolt in. It's been done before but some work on the mounts is needed. Not sure about the piston kit or side covers.
      I think this depends on definition of "bolt in". Like you said some some custom stuff will be needed with the engine mounts. But on the other hand the frame shouldn't need any modifications so in that sense it's pretty much "bolt in".
      Arttu
      GS1100E EFI turbo
      Project thread

Comment

Doesn't the Kat 1127 have more power than the B12? May be cheaper in the long run starting with more power. I think they ran just under 150 in stock form, but that is with the full fairing.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks Nessism,

I'm fine with some minor modification work, or minor welding, but nothing too radical. My only other larger concern would be the clearance on the topside between the top of the engine and the horizontal section of the frame where the tank sits, and clearance between the front of the engine and the front down-tubes. Others have guided me to some other sites & write-ups so I'll look into that, but so far it sounds do-able.

Thanks for the reply....

Comment

Thanks Isleoman,

I visited that site but I'll go back and look again at specifically the links you provided.

Appreciate all the info on the rear swingarm, forks, wheels and engine mods.

I'm thinking to get the bike to look and run they way I have it imagined in my mind, it's going to cost me anywhere between 6 to 9k.

This bike is going with me to my grave so it's one of those "spare no expense" deals.

Thanks for all the good info....

Comment

Thanks Arttu.....the more I see all of your reply's and the more research I do, I'm discovering that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the reply.....

Comment

I was also wondering if there was another Suzuki power-plant that might have more power than the Bandit 1200, but I wasn't sure.

I'll do some research onto the motor you suggested to see what information I can get and what I can learn.

Thanks for the suggestion.....

Comment

I have a bare no title frame no swing arm or forks in Washington State for $100. Have other parts also. Inquire.

Comment

What year/model frame is it, and is it straight?

What other parts do you have?

Thanks.....

Comment

Oldskoolsuzuki will have all the answers for putting the Bandit engine in the GS frame, even templates for the engine mounts. It's a common swap on that website.
                      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

WE did a fair amount of 1277 cylinder assemblies back in the day when people were building those. They never were as popular as the GSXR1100. This site will have the most Bandit 1200 performance goodies. http://gsxrzone.com/
                        Speed Merchant
                        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Unless you love to tinker and your GS's that much, I would do a ZRX. For the same amount of $$ and less guess work, its easy to get 170hp/100tq on a ZRX. You will run into less issues going to USD forks, ect. I have a ZRX and have had GS's since 1977. I understand the love. When you get the GS to go 150mph, 1, how will you cut the wind and hold on? I'm dead serious. When I'm on the ZRX and can actually find a road to go an indicated 150(which is really only about 130) you can barely hold on. 2, a GS frame with that much power with modern wheels and suspension turns into a wet spaghetti noodle. I bought a ZRX cheap with the intention of flipping it for GS mod money. 1 ride and I was hooked. bone stock, tons of power, plenty of qwerks and comfy. Personality of a GS only modern. My 2 cents isnt worth much, as I will be putting a 1166 motor into something...

Here's your base bike. Fair price, missing a few pieces. https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy...722044134.html
                          Last edited by limeex2; 10-20-2018, 12:17 AM.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                          X