Oil leak that's moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak that's moving

I had an oil leak on left side a few months ago, I believe it was a shaft seal I replaced. After that was replaced the oil leak moved to the right side and i did not have time to get to it. So now my offseason project is to fix this leak so i can ride it next spring. In order to avoid replacing one gasket or oring at a time just to go through this again, is there a kit I can order that will replace everything I should he worrying about? It's an 81 gs450l. It's my first bike and it sat for 1 year before I got it, so I'm sure with its age it needs anything seal related replaced. Any help is greatly appreciated, sorry if this wasn't technically described correctly. I'm not super mechanically inclined but I can find my way through a project eventually.

Originally posted by cubfan View Post
    I had an oil leak on left side a few months ago, I believe it was a shaft seal I replaced. After that was replaced the oil leak moved to the right side and i did not have time to get to it. So now my offseason project is to fix this leak so i can ride it next spring. In order to avoid replacing one gasket or oring at a time just to go through this again, is there a kit I can order that will replace everything I should he worrying about? It's an 81 gs450l. It's my first bike and it sat for 1 year before I got it, so I'm sure with its age it needs anything seal related replaced. Any help is greatly appreciated, sorry if this wasn't technically described correctly. I'm not super mechanically inclined but I can find my way through a project eventually.
    What shaft are you talking about? The shift shaft? That only passes through one side in front of the front drive sprocket. If the engine is leaking from the other side it is different leak all together. Maybe the clutch release seal in the clutch cover? We can only guess if you can't describe it or show pics of the offending leak.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I would suggest cleaning the outside of the engine thoroughly and then spraying some foot spray (as in athlete's foot) and seeing exactly where the leak is coming from
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good suggestion.
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          I would suggest cleaning the outside of the engine thoroughly and then spraying some foot spray (as in athlete's foot) and seeing exactly where the leak is coming from
          At worst, you may cure any fungal infections your bike may have picked up in the school locker room. lol. Honestly I have never heard this before but I think it's brilliant and I'm going to try it.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

........................ is there a kit I can order that will replace everything I should he worrying about? .................
            Welcome to GSR.

Good that you are intending to maintain the bike.

No, Am not aware of a seal kit for the entire engine. There are aftermarket gasket kits, but those are ment for a teardown and rebuild of the entire engine and lots of folks here recommend avoiding these aftermarket gaskets.

As far as various seals, those you have to find seperatly from OEM suppliers, most have online microfische.

I dont know the 2 cyliders engines enouigh to help you determine which seal might be the culprit on the right side of engine.

Last edited by Redman; 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Here is a start
              Shop online for OEM Crankcase Cover parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS450L, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                At worst, you may cure any fungal infections your bike may have picked up in the school locker room. lol. Honestly I have never heard this before but I think it's brilliant and I'm going to try it.
                They said to do that at MMI, Desitin or even baby powder.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Baby powder works, but it's harder to get it where you want it. The foot spray goes on like paint.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                  1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Yes "shift shaft seal" sounds exactly like what I replaced. Odd name, hard to remember but yes that's it. Once that was replaced a new leak immediately popped up on the right side, and they 100% are not the same leak, I saw where the oil was coming from on the left, that seal fixed that up and then the right side started. This new leak appears to maybe be coming out of the right side cover (in the picture attached, I believe it leaks where I have it circled, out of the top of that cover.)Screenshot_20181018-174926_Gallery.jpg
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      I will try this out, in the meantime what is the specific gasket called for the picture I have added. I will order one of those and see if that stops my leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Welcome to GSR.

Good that you are intending to maintain the bike.

No, Am not aware of a seal kit for the entire engine. There are aftermarket gasket kits, but those are ment for a teardown and rebuild of the entire engine and lots of folks here recommend avoiding these aftermarket gaskets.

As far as various seals, those you have to find seperatly from OEM suppliers, most have online microfische.

I dont know the 2 cyliders engines enouigh to help you determine which seal might be the culprit on the right side of engine.

Good to know, thank you. I will search online for the specific parts

Comment

Yes "shift shaft seal" sounds exactly like what I replaced. Odd name, hard to remember but yes that's it. Once that was replaced a new leak immediately popped up on the right side, and they 100% are not the same leak, I saw where the oil was coming from on the left, that seal fixed that up and then the right side started. This new leak appears to maybe be coming out of the right side cover (in the picture attached, I believe it leaks where I have it circled, out of the top of that cover.)[ATTACH=CONFIG]56574[/ATTACH]
                          That is your clutch cover. It must have a crack in the gasket. You'll want part #2
                          GASKET
                          11482-44100 11482-44110

$14.01

The oil will find the next place it can leak from. The shift seal was the biggest opening and after you fixed it the pressure made to oil find the next area it can easily escape from. This may or may not be the last place oil leaks from.
                          Last edited by gsrick; 10-18-2018, 07:12 PM.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

If you fix one leak, and then another new one pops up, it is a good idea to check your crankcase ventilation. There should be a hose from the engine to the air box that allows crankcase blow-by to leave the engine. If that line is blocked and can't flow it is possible that it will blow out seals and cause leaks.
                            1981 Suzuki GS250T
                            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                            1985 Suzuki GS550E
                            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              That is your clutch cover. It must have a crack in the gasket. You'll want part #2
                              GASKET
                              11482-44100 11482-44110

$14.01

The oil will find the next place it can leak from. The shift seal was the biggest opening and after you fixed it the pressure made to oil find the next area it can easily escape from. This may or may not be the last place oil leaks from.
                              Perfect thank you! I will get that ordered. It's the 44110 not the 44100 right?

Comment

Working...
                              X