Fork caps replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork caps replacement

Morning all, got a question about fork caps. On my 82 850gl my fork caps have air stem valves. I kno why they’re there except there’s no air in the forks nor have I ever put any in. Bike handles just fine so my question is can I just remove those eyesores and install a 37mm flush cap in its place?
    sigpicA distinguished Gentleman's ride

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

Yes you can. You'll need to match the thread and the depth as they compress the springs a bit though you can always play around with spacers to set your suspension up how you want it
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Awesome! Thx for ur reply!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

I'd love to do the same with mine. Any idea where to get some?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Peteortiz11 View Post
          ... there’s no air in the forks nor have I ever put any in.
          Unless you assembled the forks in a vacuum chamber, there is more air in there than you think.

Yes, it's quite possible that you have never added any, and you think it "handles just fine", but have you ever considered the possibility that it really could be better.

Have you at least installed proper springs? The stock springs were intentionally weaker than necessary (for comfort), which required the use of additional air for support. If you have never added any air, it's most likely that you have been running around with these softer springs and think that all is well. One way to test is to measure the amount of "sag" in your forks. You may be surprised at what you find.

Once you have proper springs in the tubes, yeah, it should be no problem replacing the caps.

I am also curious why they are considered such eyesores. Mine have chrome covers on them.
          Not sure I would call them "attractive", but they are definitely not in the "eyesore" category.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with Steve...they're not really eye sores. Here's mine:

Ed

EDIT: My bike is a bit dirty/dusty.
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-28-2018, 06:05 PM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              I agree with Steve...they're not really eye sores. Here's mine:

Ed

EDIT: My bike is a bit dirty/dusty.
              Ed, your caps are a eye sore! 😀 How's you knee doing?
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'll message you Norm...let's talk about fork caps! lol

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I agree about them not being eyesores. You'll be doing more riding than sitting that you won't really notice them.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mine aren't pretty, polished. since I've made such drastic changes to the bike, just thought I'd change those things as well. btw, how much air should go into those things anyway?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Peteortiz11; 10-29-2018, 01:59 PM.

Built, not Bought!

Comment

8.5 psi according to the owners manual for the '82 850G
                      psi.jpg
                      you can download your manual here.
                      Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Peteortiz11 View Post
                        ... btw, how much air should go into those things anyway?
                        I think the manual calls for 7-14 psi, or something like that. The problem is that you have to KEEP checking it somewhat regularly. The problem with THAT is that every time you check it, you lose a bit of air. Not much, but enough to make a measureable difference. Add it the inevitable loss past the seal, you will soon be down to NO additional air.

A better solution is to replace the weak stock springs (you know they were weak from the factory, or they wouldn't be asking you to add air to help them) with proper-rate springs. One of the forum favorites happens to support a member. Sonic Springs are great, straight-rate springs. Install them with 10w fork oil and a proper preload spacer, you will never have to worry about how much air is in your fork tubes again.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X