No announcement yet.

"Pure gas". How long does it stay good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know Keith. Lawnmower works fine. I wonder if it's the stabil that doesn't like the heat. Maybe put some seafoam in? Should be able to go 5 months without gas going bad. WTF???
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I personally use Sea Foam in all my engines and never have an issue with them. Motorcycles, lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed whackers, snow blowers and outboard motors. double dose and the are good to go.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        So what do you guys think? With pure gas, if I make sure to add fresh gas every 6 weeks, do you think that would stop the carbs from gumming up? From what I've read, it seems like over-kill but I want to be sure.
        Thanks for any thoughts.
        Keith, I have a completely different opinion of how to store carbs. I would never shut the Pingel off and run the carbs dry since I have had numerous problems with warm carbs varnishing almost immediately when run out of fuel. Also oxidation is a problem with dry carbs. If you keep them wet with treated gas they will be just like you left them the day before. If you run them dry the jets can varnish over. The way I have learned this is with the family snowmobiles. The kids would ride laps around the house all day long until the thing ran out of gas, as which point the warm engine and carbs would varnish almost immediately. I can't tell you how many times I've been rebuilding a carb with a teary eyed 6 year old looking up at me.

Just like the gas tank, keeping it full of gas during storage keeps oxygen out of the tank and prevents condensation and corrosion. Just my opinion but it's really worked for me and I am in a constant state of storing vehicles and bringing others back to life. Right now it's boats getting stored and sleds coming out.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Chuck, the Z1 fittings came. You're absolutely right about their o-rings. The fittings came with their o-rings already installed. Way too big. I used some silicone spray on the o-rings as I always do with o-rings. Starting with the "T" fitting, I twisted the first side in and could tell it was very snug. I couldn't twist the other side in so I had to push it straight in and I was careful to make it go in straight. No luck. The outer o-ring split. Because I had the un-used o-rings from Robert Barr's kit, I tried them and they fit well.
          I'm sending a message to Z1 in hopes they'll improve their product.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I think Z1 has an outside supplier for tees and crossovers. They may well want to forward any correspondence to their suppliers.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I finally received a reply from Z1. They included a short video showing someone pushing the "T" fitting into a VM 28 carb without difficulty. It was pushed straight in, no lubricant I assume. They said they've put a lot of effort into having the correct size O-rings.
              I replied there's no way the "T" they sent me would pop in like that. My "T" had to be lubed with silicone and twisted in. Trying to push the other side straight in tore an o-ring. I told them carbs 2 and 3 can be twisted in but carbs 1 and 4 must be attached by pushing the fittings straight in. I'm sure they think I don't know how to assemble carbs so that's that.
              Their part description says their "T" fitting fits both VM 26 and VM 28. Maybe the 28, but not the 26. If I really thought the problem was just me then I wouldn't bother with contacting them. But other people have had the same problem so I know Z1 isn't using the same O-rings all the time or these O-rings only fit into the 28's??
              So just be aware that any VM fuel fittings you get from Z1 may not fit. Have some O-rings from Robert Barr handy.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I like Z1 overall but they don't listen to customer feedback when the suggestion is the part received is bad.

I bought a K&L master cylinder kit for my 850 and after installing it the master would make a squeak noise and the plunger would hang up in the bore. Contacted Z1 and they told me that they had sold a number of those same kits without issues, thus implying the problem is mine. Pure BS. I wound up removing the seal and chucking up the plunger in a lathe in order to true it up. The part was drastically out of round. Apparently they think everyone is an idiot and that they know better.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Keith, I had the same problem with the Z1 fittings but had some o-rings from Robert's kit and all is well. Also, the original fittings usually seal if soaked in fuel for an hour as they dry out during the rebuild. Now, back on subject, I live in a hot humid climate and ethanol free fuel with stabil is good for at least 6 months. We ride year round so it's not from experience with the bikes but my generator is only used if we have a power outage during hurricane season. Every six months, I drain the fuel, replenish with treated pure fuel. I run it for 15 minutes and then change the oil. Might be overkill but that thing needs to be ready if we are without power for several days. The drained fuel is used in my truck and mixed with 20 gallons.
                  1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
                  1970 Honda C70

Comment

Well maybe Jeff Saunders will see this thread. I automatically strip off Z1 orings and put Roberts on...lesson learned and mistake not to be repeated here.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I hope I won't gum up the carbs again and I won't have to deal with this again. I've had the bike 39 years and I don't doubt I'll still have the bike another 20 years (if I live that long). As long as the Z1 aluminum fittings last, I'll be good.
                      Chuck, same here. If ever again, I'll automatically order some of Robert's O-rings again (if he lives that long).

Comment

Maybe email a link to this thread to them. Or maybe PM Jeff Saunders a link. If they dont seem interested in improving then at least we had our say.

Comment

Working...
                        X