GS550 Handlebars Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Handlebars Advice

Hello all. I have a GS550 with what I believe are non-stock handlebars. I believe this to be the case because I had to get a non-stock clutch cable replacement.

I have acquired some handlebars from a couple of boxed GS550s and just wanted to check if they are the stock ones. I've attached a photo of both bars.

The existing ones (non-stock), are 70cm (27.5inches) wide, have a 10cm (4-inch) rise and are a bit straighter than the other ones.
    The potentially stock ones are 79cm (31.25inches)wide and have an 18cm (7-inch) rise (all the measurements but especially the rises are rough)

In searching for the correct measurements I have discovered that a lot of people change their handlebars, and am wondering whether I might prefer the ones already on the bike. What are the reasons for changing? I'm guessing the stock ones lend to a more upright semi-cruiser riding position.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bill_face; 11-04-2018, 12:15 PM.
    1979 GS550

Without any sort of fairing on your bike i think you would prefer the lower ones that are on the bike.
    Unless you are TALL and the forward lean putting more pressure/weight on your wrists MIGHT get bothersome.
    Sitting fully upright with the tall ones would subject you to more wind buffeting.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

you can go here, look up your bike, and get an idea of "stock" bars

also here..the parts fiche. Sometimes the fiche shows options(2ndcmsnl link)
      ✓ Suzuki spare parts for GS550 Motorcycle. ✓ Swift delivery ✓ Original Suzuki GS550 parts

also, searching online images will give an overall look at what is stock.
      well stevemurdoch beat me to the post -i was just going to say that in a different way
      What are the reasons for changing?
      Comfort...to be comfortable on a long ride or in town, be able to turn your head to look behind you easily and often... latter is easier with taller bars. Taller bars suit effective fairings better because the wind blocked puts more load on wrists But a naked bike on a highway with too tall bars can make me feel I am a parachute...

personally, without any fairing I seem to end up with something called Daytona or slightly flatter ones as shown in fiche linked above as number 2
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-04-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I've just measured a set of stock ones - 650mm width, 50mm rise, 55mm pull-back. If you look at a parts fiche, it will tell you there was also an option for a slightly higher (maybe 50-70mm?) set. I replaced my originals with a set that were about 25mm higher, and had maybe 25mm extra pull-back. As Steve says above, I'm fairly tall, and wanted a slightly higher riding position.

The main point is, unless you are concerned with absolute originality, get a set that suits your physical size and riding style.

The second set in your photo look like they might be off an L, or something similar - definitely not stock E bars.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Those handlebars are "Gi-normous"! Hope you find something that suits you.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

As the other Steves have already mentioned, the primary reason for change is COMFORT. That said, you have to consider your height and position on the bike, along with whether you will be using a windshield or fairing of any sort.

I am not short, so stock bars tend to be good for me. I have been on test rides on a few bikes with "Daytona" or "Superbike" bars and was very thankful it was only a short test ride. Many will say they need to lean into the wind, and stock bars don't allow that. All of my bikes have windshields or fairings, so the stock bars give <me> just the right amount of lean.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X