Tank Liners...Input Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Liners...Input Please.

Got a tank with a seam leak. It was Por 15'd around 2012 and it never really took. Someone suggested you could use Caswells Sealer right over the top of old liners.

Thoughts?

No way, no how

Liners fail most often due to poor preparation, which is why the existing one didn't "take". From the Caswell's instructions:

Application Instructions - Read The PDF
    All traces of oil and gasoline should first be removed by pouring about 1 pint of acetone or lacquer thinner into the tank, and rotating the tank several times to thoroughly sluice the sides with solvent. Dispose of the contaminated solution.

When recoating your gas tank from failed Kreem or POR-15 tank sealers, remove the old, failed coating using a paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride.

Place a hand full of drywall screws into the tank and shake them around vigorously for several minutes. These will dislodge any loose particles of rust. In the case of Fiberglass and plastic tanks, this will rough up the tank interior, improving adhesion.

Rinse out the tank with about 1-pint of acetone or lacquer thinner, then set aside and allow to dry. Use an airline to blow air into the tank to aid drying.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I took my tank to a radiator shop and had it red koted. It’s been great since. It cost around $100-$150. Well worth it in my mind.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Caswell 2 part liner kit or POR 15 here. Cant stand red kote. looks like schit and isnt very workable in my opinion
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've been down the rabbit hole several times stripping out old liners before applying new and it's NOT a fun task. And since the tank is leaking now that makes the project that much worse because whatever you put inside the tank to strip it will leak out and make a mess.

What I've had the best results with is heavy duty paint stripper, the stuff that requires mineral spirits to remove, along with uncoated aquarium rocks. The rocks are to help scrub the surface of the metal. Some people use larger bits like screws and such instead of rocks but in my experience those larger parts won't reach into the nooks and crannies inside the tank. Anyway, dump in a gallon of stripper, some abrasive media, plug up securely and shake like hell. Then repeat the shaking every 15 mins or so until the liner is loose and gummy.

While the stripper is working there will be pressure build up inside the tank so be sure to release this or the tank will pooch out and swell like a balloon. Don't ask how I know this!

If all goes well the liner will release in a day or so of this process. I'd hold onto the stripper/gravel slurry until you are sure all the liner is gone inside, and the only way to know this is to dump out the slurry and rinse first. Huge pain in the butt. Sometimes it's back and forth several times before the liner is all gone. You have to use an inspection mirror and flashlight so you can look all around inside the tank to be sure it's clear.

And regarding liners, Caswell's is the stuff I'd use if the tank is leaking. It's thick as cold honey and will plug up holes better than more fluid liners.

GOOD LUCK!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

To remove the liner, you could have a bonfire like Chuck!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Sounds like this is going have to be a total interior cleaning, the usual rust removal techniques. I had heard the Caswells worked right over the old liner but I guess that is not the case.

Better get to work I guess if I want to save it

Comment

Whilst I cannot contribute to removal methods I hope you do not mind if I suggest a tank sealer that you may not have seen before being an Aussie product
                Red White & Blue was constructed over 30 years ago by industrial chemist Roy Connaughton. Start to finish kit used to restore, line and seal fuel tanks.

I have used others before and was very pleased with the ease of use this product provides. Worth a look anyway

Comment

A very timely thread here as I just noticed a strong gas smell when I walked into the garage. Tiny pinholes literally just opened up. Looks like I'll be lining my tank soon.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Cross Ref to another active relevant thread:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I only use Red-Kote. It's been perfect, Seals anything, sticks to anything so the tank doesn't need to be all that well prepped, and is tough as a basketball. I spilled a little in the garage years ago. I let it set up and nothing short of fire is going to remove it now.

Comment

Working...
                      X