Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS750E Frame Powdercoat: Gloss or Satin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750E Frame Powdercoat: Gloss or Satin?

I will be taking my frame in for powdercoating... was wondering if gloss or satin would be the best choice (to match original frame sheen). The "tins" will be wet paint (gloss black).

Thanks!

Satin frames always look they were done with rattle cans to me. Gloss black looks fantastic..easy to clean, and more original.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

yes, satin is further than gloss from the original...there's stuff you can read on how to dull paint if the gloss is too much but if you run out and look at a wooden door or window-frame they don't keep the super-shine of gloss very long anyways....a Car's/ bike's " body" paint gets several coats of clear to KEEP their shine...but have a look at the frame under the hood that doesn't get clearcoats....

I don't know about powder coating but satin+gloss enamels can be mixed together...in enamels, flat and satins have (roughly speaking) talc powders added to dull them from gloss.

Comment

Paint and powder coating quality have both come a long way from when these bikes were done at the factory. Powder coat goes on gloss (or satin) and stays that way. My frame was powder coated almost 9 years ago with a gloss finish and looks as good now as the day I picked it up. It's also way more durable then paint.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks for the advice N2O... gloss it is!!!

Comment

Working...
          X