Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goldwing? What are the usual suspects to watch out for ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldwing? What are the usual suspects to watch out for ???

May take a shot at buying this tomorrow. it's less than $1000.

What should I beware of? It's been "sitting a while". I will find out what that really means. 1982, 30,000 miles.

I know rusted/rotted pipes are an issue.
    Carbs any harder to clean than GS ?
    If timing belt is not recent? is that a nightmare / stay away, or just a bargaining chip?

Thanks in advance

Pete

1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Many many good links here that pertain to just about any GL. I used tyhe carb rebuild kit from Randakks and did the air jet mod covered in the "how to cure off idel stumble" tutorial. Shop galk link will take you to tutorials much like bikecliffs website has set up.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-19-2018, 09:54 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That an 1100? I helped a friend that got an 1100. We took off the front wheel and the bearing fell out of the wheel. FOund out that was a common problem with the "comstar" wheels for a few years on goldwings. I think he had to get newer wheel(s).

That a 1200? Another guy was telling me something about changing the stator is a major engine tear down.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No, that's an 1100.

With only 30,000 miles, the timing belts will LOOK good, but the general rule is to change them every 10 years or 100,000 miles, so i would replace them. You don't need Honda belts at $50 (each), there is a Gates belt that works just fine for about $15.

Consider replacing the water pump and thermostat while you have the front of the engine accessible.

The GL1100, as well as the GL1000 and GL1200, has a stator and R/R charging system virtually identical to the GS bikes. The stator is on the back of the engine, which requires pulling the engine out of the frame to change the stator. I would highly recommend an SH775 R/R as soon as practical.

One valuable resource is goldwingfacts.com. Almost as good as GSR.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

+1 on the goldwingfacts.com site, stock mufflers from a bagger style harley are an alternative. They are easy to get and usually cheap to buy. My father traded a '79 cbx for a new 1100 back in the day.....
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            No, that's an 1100.

With only 30,000 miles, the timing belts will LOOK good, but the general rule is to change them every 10 years or 100,000 miles, so i would replace them. You don't need Honda belts at $50 (each), there is a Gates belt that works just fine for about $15.

Consider replacing the water pump and thermostat while you have the front of the engine accessible.

The GL1100, as well as the GL1000 and GL1200, has a stator and R/R charging system virtually identical to the GS bikes. The stator is on the back of the engine, which requires pulling the engine out of the frame to change the stator. I would highly recommend an SH775 R/R as soon as practical.

One valuable resource is goldwingfacts.com. Almost as good as GSR.

So, check the charging system if it runs, assume it won't charge if it doesn't run?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Stator is a pita, pulse generator is a pita (also at back of engine) I bought one with a bad pulse generator, more work than I wanted to do so sold it forward as a parts bike

Comment

Steve, are you the Steve from that website ??? I already signed up !

So it sounds like timing belt = "regular maint" and if it still has original electrical parts = "it's a project bike".

He said it's been about 6 years since it ran. Needs fork seals. I asked if gas turned into turpentine yet, he said "no it still smells like gas".

Going to look tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted...
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

I think the 1100 was the best of the fours in the GL. Sweet bikes when running right-not slow, either.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post

So it sounds like timing belt = "regular maint" and if it still has original electrical parts = "it's a project bike".

He said it's been about 6 years since it ran. Needs fork seals. I asked if gas turned into turpentine yet, he said "no it still smells like gas".
                    Any bike that has been sitting for 6 years is to be considered a project. Bought a running, driving, registered & inspected '84 gl1200 and still speant a grand in parts on before we took it out of the parking lot.
                    (no regrets, it ran like a hero for years after that, went cross country, through the Rockies in the snow, through the badlands at 110 degrees... a total champ ).

6 years of sitting and 35+ years of age means, belts, hoses, lines, pads, caliper and master kits, thermostat, carb work, radiator cap, and so on. That's just catching up on maitenance items.

It's all doable, just more stuff to look after than an air cooled GS and everything is a little bit more involved.

He may say it smells like gas to him... but, you wouldn't have asked if you didn't suspect that it is foul. He knows it's foul, you know it, we all know it lol...

Comment

Seems the value on these is all over the place. I think I found almost the same bike, running / drive it home, for $1000 in South Jersey.
                      This one is losing it's appeal, but I'll check it out anyway.

Comment

Steve, are you the Steve from that website ??? I already signed up !
                        Nope, not me. I am merely a Goldwing owner that has visited that site enough to warrant a membership there.

Did you happen to notice the frequency of that "regular maintenance"?
                        Every 10 years or 100,000 miles. Yeah, might be "regular", but it's certainly not "often". My Wing is 19 years old now. I am the second owner and still see the previous owner regularly at the Goldwing meetings and rides. He added a few tasteful accessories, but never had to do anything mechanical or electrical, other than replace the alternator. Fortunately, he had the sense to install a high-output aftermarket alternator that more than doubled the available output.

I got the bike with just about 91,000 miles on it (it was six years old). Still had the original belts, hoses and spark plugs. I replaced the belts (and tensioners) and spark plugs at about 115,000 miles, haven't done anything else, except an oil seal around the shifter shaft.

The stock electrical bits are no worse than Suzuki GS bits. Actually, they are a bit better. The only major difference is the location and accessibility of the stator. Changing to a SH775 R/R will help ensure that the stock stator will keep going.

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        I think the 1100 was the best of the fours in the GL. Sweet bikes when running right-not slow, either.
                        I think the 1200 was the sleeper of the bunch. 1984 was the first year of the 1200, and the last year that it was available 'naked'. The 1200 had quite a bit more low-end torque and better carbs. Hydraulic lifters on the valves ensured proper clearance at all times, so the engine was running near peak potential at all times. All of the touring accessories definitely added weight, which reduced performance a bit, but the bike was oriented more toward touring comfortably rather than keeping the front wheel in the air.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I looked... and passed.
                          At least one hanging caliper, it didn't roll much. Both front calipers dripping, maybe from fork seals, maybe not.
                          Gas smelled pretty bad.
                          He has no history. His dad bought it as it sits, and never touched it, 6 yrs ago.
                          He came down to $600, but I stuck to my plan..."I don't want to fix it, I want to ride it."
                          The search goes on...

Comment

I have owned MANY Goldwings over the years

Passing on it may have been a good idea-
                            Here are some important things to know for anyone looking at Goldwings

www.goldwingdocs.com is a GREAT resource for old Wings - especially the GL1100's

We had one in the stable for a few years -
                            The 1980 & 1981 had a lower rear end ratio making a tiny bit quicker -
                            1982 and 1983 GL1100s had a bit higher rear end for improved MPG

The carbs are a challenge to GET OUT -
                            Once they are out theey are no more difficult to rebuild (even easier) than the GS rack
                            4 cylinders either way - BALANCE is KEY - to get it running really well--

I have read somewhere there is a shortage of rear master cylinder parts / kits so finding one that works is important

The 1200s were the ones notorious for stator issues - but the 1100s benefit greatly from upgrades & updates like R & R and FUSEBOX replacement.

I LOVED my 1200 when I had it - very fast - but the 1980 GL1100 was a blast and really quick for a heavy bike - handling was light once the suspension was properly sorted with new Progressives all around - and a custom seat is the only way to log big miles for any comfort .

Here is my son getting ready to go to work one day on the GL1100 -

Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

So I looked... and passed.
                              At least one hanging caliper, it didn't roll much. Both front calipers dripping, maybe from fork seals, maybe not.
                              Gas smelled pretty bad.
                              He has no history. His dad bought it as it sits, and never touched it, 6 yrs ago.
                              He came down to $600, but I stuck to my plan..."I don't want to fix it, I want to ride it."
                              The search goes on...
                              Geeze, for $600 you would have had a lot of headroom to get it up to snuff. Any 40 year old bike is going to need a LOT of work, even if it's running when you pick it up.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X