Facebook Marketplace, the new CL???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook Marketplace, the new CL???

Has anybody surfed the used bike postings on Facebook Marketplace???
    I was wondering why so few bikes were showing up on ebay, but I figured there must be some other place else peeps are listing stuff. I checked out Bike Trader and CL too.
    Many good looking bikes, and all kinds of other stuff on Marketplace.
    Wondering if it's full of scammers like CL is?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I don't know. I've sold a couple things on there, and haven't seen any scammers, yet.
    I've also gave away/sold stuff on Nextdoor, if you have that. Very handy for local stuff, because, well...it's your neighbors...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

i put a bike on faceb00k marketplace. all i got were scam replies, including mail order brides. also i don't know how far repliers could go into my home page. it also forced me to download and install messenger which i didn't really want. i got no real replies about the bike. i ended up deleting the whole mess. not a fan.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I've noticed a few cross listings when I bought a tank of Argon off CL.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I just recently bought an 82 XJ650 Turbo on facebook marketplace. The owner was very honest and I had no issues. I'm sure there are good sellers and bad sellers, just like CL
          The current garage:
          1978 GS750
          1975 GT750M
          1984 CB700SC
          1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
          1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

So people can look at the sellers home timeline and judge the kind of person they are dealing with, right?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Depending on your Facebook settings...

I have had great luck in selling and buying. Much easier than CL IMHO.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I've purchased a motorcycle and a few other items off FB Marketplace. All of the transactions have been positive, so far.
                1978 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                1981 GS1100E
                1982 GS1100E
                1982 GS1000SZ
                1983 GS1100ED
                1983 GS1100ESD
                1978 Honda CB750K
                1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                  Having never been on FB what does this question mean? Are you looking to review seller's FB postings like an employer would do to a potential future employee?
                  HEHE

The term is called Facebook-stalking.

Basically you can check out the profile of the folks selling stuff (or just check out anyone that posts to Facebook). I'm guilty of Facebook-Stalking whenever I have a new candidate for an open position in my operations, see if they look familiar. Most folks have a private setting but Cover photos and Profile picturess are always public and you can view all those that have been posted. If they are public you can also view their "wall" or "timeline" which is basically what you post to your "Facebook". I have Private settings on my Facebook so you can view my public photos and some other posts that I chose to be public.

I use Facebook as a networking tool for my MC groups... I also host all my pictures I post here with Facebook.

If your an addict need not apply for it can soak up allot of time if your not good at budgeting your tech time.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I've nosed around in there -- sort of considering picking up a 'beater' vehicle. Maybe not, we'll see. Anyhow, it's fairly annoying that so many vehicle sellers list an absurdly low price, or put 'free'. Otherwise, it looks interesting. Lots of goodies in the home & garden areas, for example. Lots of curious items, too. Can't say Ive actually bought or sold anything yet, though.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

After watching the congressional hearings on Faecesbook and hearing Mark Zuckerberg speaking from an orifice generally reserved for excretion I won't use Faecesbook again. Most people are all too willing to turn their heads away from the damage that they've done and continue to do but not me, I'm not geared toward allowing willful ignorance into my life. There's plenty of places out there that you can find bikes and pretty much everything else for sale without selling yourself in the process.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I think with anything, moderation is key. Facebook has been a great resource with the businesses I run and can say it has helped in generating revenue. I 'm pretty private with Facebook personal face book (obviously not with my Jedz Moto Facebook)and I stay on top of new pictures and stories from my family which is nice but I mainly use it to reach out to folks and strengthen relationships in the motorcycle communities I'm apart of.

Unsure of the hate but I have had nothing but a positive time with my use and interaction with Facebook.

Like I said you can easily dive too deep in... And if you take everything on it seriously and go on their to fight or prove something... Then your an idiot. At least you look like an idiot. HAHA
                        Last edited by Jedz123; 12-14-2018, 09:44 AM.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I have noticed that both my kids and my SIL and DIL (all mid-late 30s), if they say "got it used" or "maybe I should look on for it used", they mean FB Marketplace. My daughter got lots of baby stuff (running stroller, furniture, ecterera) from there. SHe would say "they lived in blah blah neighborhood and she runs marathons....".

I suspect they dont even remember when the home town newspaper here had several pages of "classified" ads every day. (Now it is about 3/4th of one page).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Things forgottten quickly…

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            I have noticed that both my kids and my SIL and DIL (all mid-late 30s), if they say "got it used" or "maybe I should look on for it used", they mean FB Marketplace. My daughter got lots of baby stuff (running stroller, furniture, ecterera) from there. SHe would say "they lived in blah blah neighborhood and she runs marathons....".

I suspect they dont even remember when the home town newspaper here had several pages of "classified" ads every day. (Now it is about 3/4th of one page).
                            Newspaper want ads are so out of date for shopping, because it's such a narrow dispersion. I can remember just a decade ago it was still the best place to find local garage sales because they dedicated a special section to it with a map.
                            Each media works best within a specific age group. It's gotten really funny how quickly each media has in turn become widely used and regarded, then quickly discarded.
                            FB is already regarded as an old school, old fart thingy!!!

Comment

I don't see FB carrying on to the next generation in its current form, which is fine with me. My older son's online interactions are mostly live with his friends from actual real life. He has ZERO interest in FB.

As far as Marketplace, I've seen some decent stuff there on occasion. I did however join a couple of local buy / sell groups, and some of the stuff for a sale there is absurd. Sneakers, undergarments, collectibles, etc.... IMO effort involved to list / meet up / and sell something for $10 is a waste of time.... I did however miss out on a super clean Kawasaki 750 for $300. It was gone in hours....
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X