Looking to upgrade to better forks on my 82' GS450T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to upgrade to better forks on my 82' GS450T

I have a pair of GS850 shocks on the back now which ride good and would like to install a pair of better forks.The stock forks and front brake are kind of light duty.What do you folks recommend? I don't have much $, SS being my only small income and would like to know if anybody here has something I could purchase from you once I decide what will work. Bill
    Last edited by grcamna2; 12-11-2018, 08:37 PM.

I put progressive springs in the the forks on my GS450. It really stiffened up the front and significantly improved the handling. Mine were ~$85 from a member here (they were new, though).

That would definitely be the most effective, hassle free and cost efficient upgrade.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Fork brace will stiffen up the front end and minimize brake torque

Twinpot caliper for the brake
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've been looking into swapping mine too and it seems there's no clear cut easy answers. Have not come across any direct bolt on upgraded calipers or lower legs, it seems that new progressive springs is about all that can be done but I just might try putting some spacers in mine to stiffen the pre-load as it won't cost much to try it. As for less than clear cut I've come across the All Balls Racing steering bearing swap chart which does hold some promise. You can order up the bearings that will match the steering stem to the neck but as to stem length you're still on your own. It does appear that many Suzuki models use the same bearings which does hold some promise. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          I've been looking into swapping mine too and it seems there's no clear cut easy answers. Have not come across any direct bolt on upgraded calipers or lower legs, it seems that new progressive springs is about all that can be done but I just might try putting some spacers in mine to stiffen the pre-load as it won't cost much to try it. As for less than clear cut I've come across the All Balls Racing steering bearing swap chart which does hold some promise. You can order up the bearings that will match the steering stem to the neck but as to stem length you're still on your own. It does appear that many Suzuki models use the same bearings which does hold some promise. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
          I asked before and it's on another thread in the "suspension" section and that is where I was trying to post but my 'big finger' slipped and it went into this section
          They told me last time that a GS650 front end would fit and I'm considering that.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
            I asked before and it's on another thread in the "suspension" section and that is where I was trying to post but my 'big finger' slipped and it went into this section
            They told me last time that a GS650 front end would fit and I'm considering that.
            My thinking is that it's better in the long run to go to a bigger bike that already has better brakes and stiffer forks, I'm going to try the spacers and run what I've got.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

My thinking is that it's better in the long run to go to a bigger bike that already has better brakes and stiffer forks, I'm going to try the spacers and run what I've got.
              Chop off a few inches of coils before fabricating your spacers. That will stiffen the spring rate not just increase the preload.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've been told that the GS850G front end would fit the 650G, so if a 650 will fit a 450, then the 850 will work also. But is probably more than you need...

Comment

I and thinking of installing a pair of gs450 forks from another GS450 model that will have a top cap that screws down rather than the top cap that I have on my stock txz model which only has a circlip to hold the spring down.I will be able to add spacers much easier with that system.
                  My forks measure 33mm o.d. and are just about 29.5" long from the center of each axle hole in the lowers to the top of the tube.Do any of you members have a pair of forks in good condition? Mine are rust-pitted in the seal area and that doesn't help me.

Comment

I am enjoying the GS450 and will keep it for now,I'm just going to figure out how to improve my front suspension on my 450 for now Sir.

Comment

The GS front ends are all pretty much interchangable, the steering stem bearings may have to be changed, also
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        The GS front ends are all pretty much interchangable, the steering stem bearings may have to be changed, also
                        We're there any GS450's that have 35mm fork tubes? Mine are 33mm

Comment

Originally posted by mnferwerda View Post
                          I've been told that the GS850G front end would fit the 650G, so if a 650 will fit a 450, then the 850 will work also. But is probably more than you need...
                          Hi Mark,
                          I did a little research and I think a GS850G front end might work,do you know the length of the forks ?? Thanks

I did a little more research,a GS850G complete front-end is what I want,anybody have a decent one?
                          Last edited by grcamna2; 12-30-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X