C/L Denver 1972 Suzuki 500 Titan 5600 miles $5500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C/L Denver 1972 Suzuki 500 Titan 5600 miles $5500

Pristine looking but I am guessing not much of a following?

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

My first street bike was the same bike 1976 model. They weren't the hot rods the Kawasaki 2 strokes were so not as desireable. That one looks to be in excellent condition, not sure he will find a buyer at that $$.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Definitely a beautiful motorcycle! You probably would have more money into restoring one than the fellows asking price. The trick is finding the right person with the right money. Maybe a auction is the place to find a buyer...
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I had one back in the day. Great bike except when it came time to stop. Worst brakes of any bike I ever owned.......
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          I had one back in the day. Great bike except when it came time to stop. Worst brakes of any bike I ever owned.......
          I’ll second that.... to a point. The first time I rode the one I had I figured that brake would be the death of me. But, after playing with that front drum for a while with sand paper and adjusting the cams it grabbed at least as good as the single disc on my cb750. One trick often overlooked is that you have to pull on the brake when you tighten the axel nut to make sure shoes are centered in the drum. It’s a twin leading shoe, so not a bad design for the era, and actually sought after in vintage race classes that require drum brakes.
          A fun bike though. A lot of them have 4th gear issues due to the oil level in the crankcase being too low unless you modify it if I remember correctly.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Has a Wyoming license plate. The craigslist map points to area around Casper, Wyoming. Didn’t find any other listings of the bike.
            So it may be legit.

Cheap aftermarket pod filters. Petcock isn’t stock. Wrong taillight, no mirrors & no turn signals. Wrong handlebar brake & clutch levers.
            The green paint might be darker than the original Suzuki cascade green.

Looks sweet. That could be reasonable money for the bike.
            But if you are into 100% correct, its not going to be cheap to address the mods.

I already have too many Suzuki two strokes. But I would go take a look if the bike were nearby & he was asking for less $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
              I’ll second that.... to a point. The first time I rode the one I had I figured that brake would be the death of me. But, after playing with that front drum for a while with sand paper and adjusting the cams it grabbed at least as good as the single disc on my cb750. One trick often overlooked is that you have to pull on the brake when you tighten the axel nut to make sure shoes are centered in the drum. It’s a twin leading shoe, so not a bad design for the era, and actually sought after in vintage race classes that require drum brakes.
              A fun bike though. A lot of them have 4th gear issues due to the oil level in the crankcase being too low unless you modify it if I remember correctly.
              The front brake is reasonable with modern brake shoes and a proper lube/adjustment.
              A good brake for some vintage races classes, but they can crack & fail catastrophically when given that kind of abuse.

Suzuki modified the crankcase to increase transmission oil capacity. An oil dam is available to retrofit earlier crankcases.
              The clutch cover has a screw used to check the oil level. Suzuki didn’t move that screw when they did the oil capacity mod.
              Doesn’t take that much to trigger a recall nowadays, but back then things were very different.

Comment

IMG_3292 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

This is mine circa 1980
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Several years ago I was looking for a larger brake for my CL175, I remember reading they had a tendency to crack and should be reinforced.... That was enough to deter me, I ended up getting a cb160 setup instead.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    Several years ago I was looking for a larger brake for my CL175, I remember reading they had a tendency to crack and should be reinforced.... That was enough to deter me, I ended up getting a cb160 setup instead.
                    Ouch! Pics of failed T500 drum: https://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/leg...500_brakes.pdf

Vintage Brake likes the CB450 & CB160 brakes. https://www.vintagebrake.com/drumspec.htm

The GT750/GT550 4LS brake is really good but its way too heavy for your CL175. I have a GT380 with it & am building a GT550 with it.

Comment

Found it. Was sold on eBay on 12/21/2018 for $5,500.
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Suzuki-500T-/113455141322 (Click on “View original item”)

So the CL ad may be a fake, or perhaps the eBay sale fell through & the owner is listing it on CL.

Comment

I know that the 4 leading shoe drum from the GT750 is sought after. I never heard the same about the brake from the Cobra/Titan. A Titan was the first fulll sized motorcycle I ever rode, back in maybe 8th grade. I remember you could buy new ones in like 1977 for $800 in the maroon and wight color. Tempting. An RD400 was like $1200 at the time.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                        X