Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 repair recommendations

To all,

So...I grenaded my '80 450's engine last summer and just got around to surveying the damage. From what I can tell, the big-end of the connecting rod failed and hammered the piston to death.

2019-01-27 09.27.57.jpg

Amazingly, both the cylinder and head survived completely unscathed! Not sure right now if the crank is salvageable or not...

Looking for recommendations on how to best proceed (in an economical way) with a repair.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jay

Hang that one on the wall of shame, its toast. I seriously doubt you'll find anything useable down inside the case, and I find it hard to believe the cylinder came away completely unscathed with how badly fractured the piston is. No scoring of the cylinder wall at all?

My advice is keep whatever parts are worth keeping and start looking for a salvage engine.
    1981 GS450T

Comment

+1 on a salvage engine
      Or a 450 that had sat for years
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by OldTwin View Post
        Hang that one on the wall of shame, its toast. I seriously doubt you'll find anything useable down inside the case, and I find it hard to believe the cylinder came away completely unscathed with how badly fractured the piston is. No scoring of the cylinder wall at all?

My advice is keep whatever parts are worth keeping and start looking for a salvage engine.
        Yeah, I think you guys are right about the likelihood of re-using the crank (especially given the mayhem inflicted on the piston and rod). Here's a shot of the surviving cylinder...

2019-01-28 18.42.31.jpg

Looks like I'm on the hunt for at least a re-usable bottom-end. That said, given the pricing I'm seeing on ebay for long-blocks...it might be cheaper to find a non-running L model to use as a donor bike (luckily, California is a frame registration state).

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Score!

I picked-up an '86(?) 450L for $200 that will work great as a donor.

2019-04-25 19.30.29.jpg

Bonus: It also included an exhaust system that was much better than my original and a center stand that wasn't rusted to death!!

Comment

Working...
          X