Getting the Cooley ready for another season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the Cooley ready for another season

The Cooley has been getting some needed maintenance in the last month..valve adjustment, new plugs, carbs dissembled and cleaned, stainless steel brake lines, rear pads, took the windscreen off the fairing and wet sanded and polished it...came out great!
    Also ordered new hardware for it...
    Also finally I had the exhaust ceramic coated...no more taking it off and painting it every year. Turned out great!
    Riding it to California again this May...

Of course a big shout out to Rob and Mark for their help...they work cheap...beer and coca cola... lol

No signature

Trevor, curious as to the cost of the ceramic coating.
    I am assuming you had both headers and muffler done?
    Also, which finish is that? Semi-gloss?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Trevor, curious as to the cost of the ceramic coating.
      I am assuming you had both headers and muffler done?
      Also, which finish is that? Semi-gloss?
      It's a matte finish...it just looks glossy in the photo because it's wet....had the whole thing done.
      My buddy works for a company that does ceramic coating...they do lots of waffle irons..lol...he gave me a deal but said it would have been around $400...I was prepared to pay that and would have been happy to...It is worth it...I was using VHT header paint before...it always looks good but over time and getting caught in the rain it would start to spot and not look good.
      Plus taking it off all the time is not good as we all know how removing and installing metal bolts into an aluminum engine is like Russian Roulette ...lol
      No signature

Comment

Lookin good,what’s going on in California in May? Bike event?

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
          Lookin good,what’s going on in California in May? Bike event?
          I went to the Quail a couple of years ago...it's the first weekend in May....not going to it though.
          This is my 5th year in a row going to California in May...three time on my BMW and this will be my second on the Cooley.
          10 of us this year...quite a motley crew this year
          1980 GS1000S Trevor
          1983 GS1100ES Rob
          1984 GS1150ES Kent
          1979 Honda CB750K Gary
          1980 GS750E ( Terry my bike a buddy from Ontario riding it)
          2012 BMW K1300R (My cousin from Ontario riding it)
          2015 GS1200 BMW Greg
          2015 Vulcan
          Can Am Spyder (yikes)
          2004 Concours

Day 1 Ellensburgh
          Day 2 Klamath Falls
          Day 3 Bridgeport CA
          Day 4 Kernille Ca
          Day 5 Ojia Ca
          Day 6 & 7 Monterey Ca
          Day 8 Fort Bragg
          Day 9 Grants Pass
          Etc...not sure lol

Should be a blast!
          No signature

Comment

That's such a nice S model. It's good to see one so loved and taken care of. Love the Street Stroker shocks. Period perfect, as is the Kerker exhaust.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              That's such a nice S model. It's good to see one so loved and taken care of. Love the Street Stroker shocks. Period perfect, as is the Kerker exhaust.
              That's a big compliment coming form you...love your bike!
              No signature

Comment

Did you simply order the brake lines from Apex online? If so, what was the cost for the set?
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982
                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                  Did you simply order the brake lines from Apex online? If so, what was the cost for the set?
                  Yes...I have purchased them before from Raymond...great service, price and product. I don't know what the breakdown was but I paid $150 cdn to my door. Amazing value and I love the difference they make!
                  No signature

Comment

Ceramic coating is the way to go. Had the drag bike done years ago, in cerachrome, and it held up until I sold it.
                    Had the 1100E's Supertrapp done in satin black, by the same guy, but new place. After 6 years they are are starting to show a little surface rust, but still way better than painting.

Drag bike:

The 1100E:

Last edited by Baatfam; 02-06-2019, 01:45 PM.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Bob, i only see the term cerachrome used in conjunction with Rolex watches.
                      I am assuming it is just another name/term for ceramic coating?
                      Seeing "powder coating" in your first sentence i did not want a newbie thinking powder-coating would work on an exhaust.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Bob, i only see the term cerachrome used in conjunction with Rolex watches.
                        I am assuming it is just another name/term for ceramic coating?
                        Seeing "powder coating" in your first sentence i did not want a newbie thinking powder-coating would work on an exhaust.
                        Correct Steve. "Cerachrome" is just what it sounds like, a chrome colored ceramic coating.
                        On the drag bike we did the inside also, for heat control and flow.

My first statement was an error. Meant ceramic - Fixed now, thanks!
                        Last edited by Baatfam; 02-07-2019, 07:08 AM.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Yes...I have purchased them before from Raymond...great service, price and product. I don't know what the breakdown was but I paid $150 cdn to my door. Amazing value and I love the difference they make!
                          $150 CND is a very fair price for custom made lines. And is Raymond the name of the fellow you dealt with there? I will email them and measure up my existing lines for them to replicate. I have ordered brakeines in the past from a place in T-O (Canadian short for for Toronto for our American readers) and messed up the measurements and so I am inclined to send Apex my old lines and get them to copy them thereby leaving little room for mistakes.
                          GS550T 1981
                          GS850G 1983
                          GS650G 1982
                          GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                            $150 CND is a very fair price for custom made lines. And is Raymond the name of the fellow you dealt with there? I will email them and measure up my existing lines for them to replicate. I have ordered brakeines in the past from a place in T-O (Canadian short for for Toronto for our American readers) and messed up the measurements and so I am inclined to send Apex my old lines and get them to copy them thereby leaving little room for mistakes.
                            Third set for me...he has been right on the money....Raymond 416-900-2594 raymond@apexbrakes.com
                            No signature

Comment

[QUOTE=trevor;2526068]The Cooley has been getting some needed maintenance in the last month..valve adjustment, new plugs, carbs dissembled and cleaned, stainless steel brake lines, rear pads, took the windscreen off the fairing and wet sanded and polished it...came out great!
                              Also ordered new hardware for it...
                              Also finally I had the exhaust ceramic coated...no more taking it off and painting it every year. Turned out great!
                              Riding it to California again this May...

Of course a big shout out to Rob and Mark for their help...they work cheap...beer and coca cola... lol

Trevor, I am seriously envious of your beautiful Cooley! Would you mind describing the process you followed to wet sand and polish the windscreen (grit of papers used; etc) because it looks like new!

Enjoy your upcoming trip!
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
                              X