Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=2BRacing;2526478]
    Originally posted by trevor View Post
    The Cooley has been getting some needed maintenance in the last month..valve adjustment, new plugs, carbs dissembled and cleaned, stainless steel brake lines, rear pads, took the windscreen off the fairing and wet sanded and polished it...came out great!
    Also ordered new hardware for it...
    Also finally I had the exhaust ceramic coated...no more taking it off and painting it every year. Turned out great!
    Riding it to California again this May...

Of course a big shout out to Rob and Mark for their help...they work cheap...beer and coca cola... lol

Trevor, I am seriously envious of your beautiful Cooley! Would you mind describing the process you followed to wet sand and polish the windscreen (grit of papers used; etc) because it looks like new!

Enjoy your upcoming trip!
    Thanks!

I start off with 2000 Wet sand pads...3-M pads are the best. Keep a little dish of warm water with a dab of dish soap in it.
    I start off going over the rough scratches first...using a 1000 pad is good for that.
    I then go to 3000 and then 5000 pads.
    Then I use a polish and an electric buffer...be careful not to stay in one spot as it's easy to heat up the plastic...don't want that.
    I get the name of my polish shortly...it escapes me for the moment.
    Cheers
    No signature

Comment

Trevor, the S looks great!
      Cool on the braided lines as well. I do like that you've kept the old school performance shocks and exhaust.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Trevor, the S looks great!
        Cool on the braided lines as well. I do like that you've kept the old school performance shocks and exhaust.
        Thanks Glenn...I have thought about upgrading the rear shocks to a more modern, better shock like Icon's...but I just can't bring myself to getting rid of the S&W Street Strokers....they just look sooo good! I usually would go function over form...but I just can't do it...lol
        No signature

Comment

Looks great, Trevor!
          1978 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
          1981 GS1100E
          1982 GS1100E
          1982 GS1000SZ
          1983 GS1100ED
          1983 GS1100ESD
          1978 Honda CB750K
          1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Thanks Glenn...I have thought about upgrading the rear shocks to a more modern, better shock like Icon's...but I just can't bring myself to getting rid of the S&W Street Strokers....they just look sooo good! I usually would go function over form...but I just can't do it...lol
            Street Strokers were the sh-t when they came out. I lusted after them but never sprung for them because at the time were spendy. They look so right on your bike. That's why I went with Honda 1100F shocks on mine, too..period (sort of) correct, and they actually work better then people would think. I can see upgrading if it were to be on a race track, but for street riding, they're still the..well, you know..
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              Street Strokers were the sh-t when they came out. I lusted after them but never sprung for them because at the time were spendy. They look so right on your bike. That's why I went with Honda 1100F shocks on mine, too..period (sort of) correct, and they actually work better then people would think. I can see upgrading if it were to be on a race track, but for street riding, they're still the..well, you know..
              I do a lot riding where I push the bike for sure... but I like the ride of the bike the way it is... one thing I did to it was add Sonic for springs up front. Now that made a huge difference! Highly recommend that upgrade.
              No signature

Comment

The Cooley has been getting some needed maintenance in the last month..valve adjustment, new plugs, carbs dissembled and cleaned, stainless steel brake lines, rear pads, took the windscreen off the fairing and wet sanded and polished it...came out great!
                Also ordered new hardware for it...
                Of course a big shout out to Rob and Mark for their help...they work cheap...beer and coca cola... lol

Nice job Trevor and WOW you got black screws, the last batch I ordered came chrome plated, where did you order from?

David.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                  Nice job Trevor and WOW you got black screws, the last batch I ordered came chrome plated, where did you order from?

David.
                  ill let you in on a little secret... lol... they are actually plastic Yamaha screws that look identical to the original metal ones from Suzuki....I too could not get the originals. Bonus is that they are plastic so they won’t crack the shield..they are the same size thread and I used the original nuts for them. I can get you a parr’s number if you like.
                  No signature

Comment

Third set for me...he has been right on the money....Raymond 416-900-2594 raymond@apexbrakes.com
                    Thanks Trevor - another for for you for GS Member of the month! I've emailed Raymond to see which is the best way to go. I am currently restoring a GS650G 82 from the frame up and want it to be right. I actually have a second (parts bike) that I'll likely restore too so if the prices is right I'll order two sets from him. I was interested to hear that there's build up in the old lines - scale is how he referred to it as. This makes me think I may replace the lines on the other bikes I have too.

Enjoy the cold & snow over there on the Island ... Surrey is snowless!
                    GS550T 1981
                    GS850G 1983
                    GS650G 1982
                    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

ill let you in on a little secret... lol... they are actually plastic Yamaha screws that look identical to the original metal ones from Suzuki....I too could not get the originals. Bonus is that they are plastic so they won’t crack the shield..they are the same size thread and I used the original nuts for them. I can get you a parr’s number if you like.
                      The Yamaha #'s would be appreciated.
                      I am using old Lockhart-Phillips screws and bolts.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        The Yamaha #'s would be appreciated.
                        I am using old Lockhart-Phillips screws and bolts.
                        90150-05024
                        🙂
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                          Thanks Trevor - another for for you for GS Member of the month! I've emailed Raymond to see which is the best way to go. I am currently restoring a GS650G 82 from the frame up and want it to be right. I actually have a second (parts bike) that I'll likely restore too so if the prices is right I'll order two sets from him. I was interested to hear that there's build up in the old lines - scale is how he referred to it as. This makes me think I may replace the lines on the other bikes I have too.

Enjoy the cold & snow over there on the Island ... Surrey is snowless!
                          Myra, I’m not used to this weather... we got about 6cm on the ground...it’s too cold for it to go anywhere too... and we have more in the forecast. ..time to catch up on maintenance issues and garage organizing.
                          No signature

Comment

90150-05024
                            ��
                            Thank you.
                            Babbits wants $2.95 and Partzilla has them on sale for $1.29.
                            Buy Yamaha 90150-05024-00 - SCREW, ROUND HEAD. This OEM part is guaranteed by Yamaha's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Thank you.
                              Babbits wants $2.95 and Partzilla has them on sale for $1.29.
                              https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/90150-05024-00
                              Of course I paid $2.95...lol..
                              No signature

Comment

Myra, I’m not used to this weather... we got about 6cm on the ground...it’s too cold for it to go anywhere too... and we have more in the forecast. ..time to catch up on maintenance issues and garage organizing.
                                Spoke too soon, we have a foot of snow and more on the way. Years ago I bought a good size snowblower and so now I am the hero of the street albeit only a few days out of the year as I clear the cul du sac for all the neighbours (Canadian spelling) 😀❄️🇨🇦

Ordered and paid paid for the brake lines from Apex today, Raymond is very helpful and has the specs on hand for the GS650G so that made it super easy. Thanks again for the lead!
                                GS550T 1981
                                GS850G 1983
                                GS650G 1982
                                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Working...
                                X