No announcement yet.

GS1100E trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's too low to make ignitor happy...recheck/clean connections .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

All the connections has been cleaned and reviewed. I pulled the head lamp, voltage jumped up to 11.53V, reading over 12V when running, but still runs like crap.

Comment

Do you have this style ignitor (see link)?

If yes, this style seems very reliable - unless it gets fried by a overcharging r/r.
        Your reported charging numbers are low....it should be higher especially with headlight off. For now, I'd go back to basics and check the ignition system...have a look at this link. Skip the ignitor test in step 14

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep, that's my igniter. before i ran into this problem my charging system had failed. I replaced the the regulator with a Honda unit and the system was working great again. it was so long ago, i don't remember the numbers so i can't really compare from then to now. Even before the charging problem i had done the coil relay mod. I wondered if the Honda regulator may ha caused another issue. It was like a switch was flipped one day, started it up, warmed up, drove maybe 1/4 mile and then it ran like crap and i almost did not make it home, never been the same.

Comment

"into this problem my charging system had failed. I replaced the the regulator with a Honda unit and the system was working great again"

maybe this new r/r has overwhelmed the old stator- which might be shorting out as rpms pick up causing poor output . Remember the r/r can't perform right with a weak stator which your reported numbers suggest .
            Is this Honda r/r the kind with sense wire? If so ,where did you connect the sense wire?
            1981 gs650L

Comment

The Honda unit was chosen from a list of units known to be a reasonable match for the GS, not sure who did their homework on that list. i don't remember the exact one i selected. Purchased this one on Ebay, Its a 5 wire, Ground, positive and three yellow stator wires.

Comment

I posted this two years ago, long story, i got it running again, runs fine. It was carburetor related, although with a bike this old, its a crazy list of options and possibilities. Thanks for all your help two years ago. LOL. Not to mention it sat for years before i posted this. I did a partial rebuild of the carbs did the trick. All the resources here, Basscliff website, what a great place this is. Don't worry, while this GS was down and out, i purchased a new FZ-09 2017 and paid it off while this thing was stored. It not like i was not riding

Comment

Working...
                X