160 tire using oem hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

160 tire using oem hub?

Im looking at purchasing a 4.5" rim and using the oem hub. Goal is to use a 160/60/17 tire... Has anyone done something similar?

I figure it can be done with offsetting the front/rear sprockets and using a narrower chain... help/insight much appreciated!

1988 1st Gen GSXR 1100 wheels with 170 on the rear

Comment

Nice!
      I should have mentioned that my project is a 78' GS1000 with wire wheels.....

Comment

Yes, it can be done. Our race GS1000 uses a 4.5in rim and 160 rubber. A 520 chain helps - with this we only neded a 3mm spacer behind the front sprocket.
        The 5 - blade cush layout is common across many Suzukis, I found one wider than we needed and machined it back to get the chain line right.

Comment

That's awesome news thank you, don't happen to remember what the donner was for the cush?

Comment

Cant help with the set up you want but i did the maths for the smaller 1st Gen Gsxr wheel (4inch)
            Chain Alignment Specs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by kwikonit View Post
              That's awesome news thank you, don't happen to remember what the donner was for the cush?
              I have the same setup on my 1000, I used a gs 500 Cush drive and machined it down I believe 3/16” If I remember correctly
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                Cant help with the set up you want but i did the maths for the smaller 1st Gen Gsxr wheel (4inch)
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]57267[/ATTACH]
                Great tool for doing wheel offsets.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  I have the same setup on my 1000, I used a gs 500 Cush drive and machined it down I believe 3/16” If I remember correctly
                  Thank you Sir!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57267[/ATTACH]
                    Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Great tool for doing wheel offsets.
                      Thanks. Stay tuned for me sorting out the GS spoked hub into GS/GSX's swing arms. 2 different hubs, what spacers go where and stuff like that

Comment

Thanks. Stay tuned for me sorting out the GS spoked hub into GS/GSX's swing arms. 2 different hubs, what spacers go where and stuff like that
                        Lots of combinations...............

I spent a lot of time doing mine in powerpoint, and it was a struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Lots of combinations...............

I spent a lot of time doing mine in powerpoint, and it was a struggle.
                          Easier to do it in the metal. Up on a hoist with the wheel aligned and centered, pair of good inside calipers - and a lathe....

Comment

Correct me if im wrong but the ‘78-‘79 gs1000 cush drive has 6 blades for the cushions to sit between and the gs500 only 5... how did you make the gs500 cush work with the rest of the gs1000 hub? Im away from home for 10 days so cant fondle the gs1000 parts to imagine machining them to work lol....

Comment

Yeah GS1000 is a six. GS500 is a five.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X