Helmet Visor fog and rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet Visor fog and rain

I ride to work rain or shine and have been getting a lot of rain this year. A while back I had heard that Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo helps with anti-fogging when you polish the visor with it. So I gave it shot this year. I just rub it on the visor like a wax, let it dry, then buff it off with a micro-fiber cloth. I found that it works, even in heavy rain the visor doesn't fog up, and the rain drops do not impair my vision, the drops kinda roll off. I was surprised by how well it works. One con though, it has to be done daily to be effective.

Any other rain riding tips?
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Another thing that works is "Mask Clear" which is used normally for SCUBA diving. It comes in a small bottle that you could carry in your pocket if you want.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

My visor doesn't fog up at all like my glasses do; has anyone tried that same stuff on their eye or sunglasses?
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        ]has anyone tried that same stuff on their eye?
        Yep I can confirm it hurts like a ba**tard if you get it in your eye

All the guys in the UK use a visor insert on the inside to stop the fogging. Not quite sure why nobody has invented permanent double skinned visors like with riding or snowboarding goggles... probably to do with clarity and distortion at a guess.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes, I can imagine it would hurt like a bugger. I have the insert for my visor and so I never have a problem with the visor fogging. However, my eyeGLASSES and sunglasses will fog up when the mornings are cooler than I wish they were.
          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            My visor doesn't fog up at all like my glasses do; has anyone tried that same stuff on their eye or sunglasses?
            Tried the soap trick on swim goggles no discernible irritation and it works.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ordinary dish soap works quite well on all applications from motorcycle visors, hockey visors, eyeglasses, scuba masks and it is quite cheap and available every where.
              1981 GS 1000GLX.
              1981 GS 1000G.
              1981 GS 650GLX.
              1975 TS 185.
              1972 100. Kawasaki.
              1968 100. Suzuki.
              1970 Z 50. Honda.
              1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
              1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

We just use visors with inserts...Simple and works great....
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You can use wet tobacco to keep them from fogging up, but cigarettes are getting expensive these days.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

We just use visors with inserts...Simple and works great....
                    yes it's my best reason to keep this HJC helmet with "Pinlock" interior visor. pinlock.jpeg
                    Cracking the visor open a notch helps on those without of course, but it's cold.

Comment

If only they made visors with bifocals built in
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

yes the soap works on glasses I used Dawn. Works on swim goggles to just fine just as good as the oem anti fog that was on from factory.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I find that the combo of pinlock and glasses is just not a sharp enough view for my taste. Too many layers. I just crack the visor a notch on my Shoei.
                          2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
                          1995 Yamaha XT225
                          2007 Yamaha XT225
                          1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

I just crack the visor a notch on my Shoei.
                            that reminds me- it's a subtlety but...various helmets crack open to their 1st notch just right or too much.. and some can more or less can actually ventilate UP the windscreen...It's a feature that I don't know in detail but if other people are spending $ on a new one, it'd be worth consideration....

Comment

or...maybe just a potato (to clear rain on the outside).. goto 2:45
                              The saga continues! We got more Life Hacks coming at you! 0:15 - Side Stand Hack0:57 - Collapsible Jerry Can 2:23 - Starchy Water Repellent 3:20 - Wax on! Wa...

Comment

Working...
                              X