• Show
Clear All

I gotta give the potato trick a go.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Me too!...I'm "good" on the inside with the Pinlock but I'm sick of using my glove to wipe the visor...but maybe it'll be just on the way to buy/try some Patented stuff that 's Especially For Plastic Visors -that's important-I'm paranoid about scratching or disturbing the coatings on the visor because they are expensive to replace...NikWax,RainX(New stuff for Plasics only) ,Plexus etc. Various reviews on Amazon...

or ideally, thrifty! A basic paste-carwax, that doesn't have solvents (ie: spraycans) These do seem to bead off pretty well....but I worry about the visor a little....when you get microscratches or swirls, it can make a night ride scary
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-21-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

For fog: Rub a cake of soap over the inside of your visor and let it dry, then polish it off. Amazing results. The sodium hydroxide in it helps break down the surface tension of the water.

For rain: Rub a potato over the outside of your visor. Let dry, then polish it off. The starches help drive the water off.

Warning, Visor DAD joke.

This guy was going out with a girl called Lorraine. But, he always liked a girl called Clearly.
        One day, Lorraine had a car accident and died. And, the guy starts singing.

I can see Clearly now Loraine has gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Philski View Post
          Warning, Visor DAD joke.

This guy was going out with a girl called Lorraine. But, he always liked a girl called Clearly.
          One day, Lorraine had a car accident and died. And, the guy starts singing.

I can see Clearly now Loraine has gone.
          Not to mention the Obstacle sisters down at the Myway mart
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I just use lemon pledge on my visor. Water beads up and is easily blown away by the wind.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I carry a little bottle of Rain-x to add to the visor if I think I'm going to get wet.i don't know how long it lasts, but it last longer in storage than a tater.

I also use the Pinlock insert, and like Scott, it's the glasses fogging that really gives me fits. I wonder if I could find a way to put a second layer behind the lenses for an anti fog effect. Eh. Not enough of a problem, I guess.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I figure beading up and blowing off is as good as it'll get on a helmet without a wiper and a good product would ideally do this below 50 or 60 mph!...

Otherwise There are devices that fit to gloves..I tried a simple one using a piece of bicycle innertube with variable results but, it helps a bit per saturating a leather glove or wiping dubbin from the same on your shield....

Potato was a fail for me. Simoniz real pastewax (not spray) works better..but beads stay on at low speed so wiping off with glove wears off the wax.

Apparently
                RainX need be the special kind FOR PLASTIC ... the car stuff degrades the coating on face shields. Without digging mine out, it may even say so on the bottle too..

The NEW lemon pledge is (from their site)said to be ok on plastics. It should say so on the label...(I still have a 1974 can of Pledge around but it's formula has been changed since then and so I won't use it on my faceshield-the label does not indicate)

Inside, I have the pinlock insert and No glasses so controlling fog inside is generally ok . The helmet can be cracked SLIGHTLY too.
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-15-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Apparently
                  RainX need be the special kind FOR PLASTIC ... the car stuff degrades the coating on face shields. Without digging mine out, it may even say so on the bottle too..

My bottle of Rain-X says to apply to exterior glass. The rest of the label is too beat up to read, since it's been in the left pannier for about 10 years. My HJC doesn't have any special coatings that I know of. If it was tinted or photochromic I think I'd be more nervous about the solvents in whatever cleaners or additives I use with it. Sadly, I haven't taken a visor to the full five year life of a helmet. I think the closest I ever got was about 4 years, and that visor was fine. But then, It's not like I like in the UK or the PNW and need to keep Rain-x on it continuously.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I find a smidge of ventilation works well for keeping the misting up at bay, but there's always the drift of spray droplets that get in sooner or later. Today's vented helmets are much better than the old torture bowls of yesteryear.
                    Apart from that, if you're out in the murk long enough it will inevitably get clarried up, necessitating a stop and a clean.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have used rain x on my shoei on the outside and rain x antifog on the inside without harm chipping peeling fading discolouration or any rash
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        ... I'm paranoid about scratching or disturbing the coatings on the visor because they are expensive to replace ... but I worry about the visor a little....when you get microscratches or swirls, it can make a night ride scary
                        Just a tip for anyone with a visor or a windshield: Only wipe the plastic UP AND DOWN, NEVER side to side or in circles.

The science behind that thought: the reason your ride can get scary is because light reflects off all the little microscratches and swirls. Light tends to reflect in a predictable manner, usually toward the same direction, but opposite angle. Most of the lights seen at night come from above the horizon. If they encounter a horizontal scratch, they are going to reflect back UP, which happens to be in your eyes. If they were to encounter a vertical scratch, they will reflect down, away from your eyes. Circles might sound like a good alternative until you realize that the top and bottom of every circle is somewhat horizontal.

Never wipe a dry piece of plastic, even with a wet cloth. I carry a wet microfiber cloth in a zip-lock bag in the saddlebag. There is actually a considerable amount of water in the bag, too. When I stop (fuel, meal, whatever), I open it up and lay it on the windshield. By the time I am done fueling, I will go ahead and wipe the (now softened) dead bugs off the windshield. If nobody is waiting for the pump, I will go ahead and apply a light coat of wax.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When my visor gets covered with bugs, I remove it and wash it in the kitchen sink. I use a tiny bit of dishwashing soap and my fingers - never a cloth. I dry it by waving it in the breeze. If there's a few drops of water left, I use a tissue.

Riding in fog and rain? That was in my 20's - 40 years ago. But I understand the need for transportation if you don't also own a Cadillac.

Just don't do all the things I did in my teens and early twenties: on angel dust with an underage female passenger, 115 mph in the rain, etc., etc., etc.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Just a tip for anyone with a visor or a windshield: Only wipe the plastic UP AND DOWN, NEVER side to side or in circles.

The science behind that thought: the reason your ride can get scary is because light reflects off all the little microscratches and swirls. Light tends to reflect in a predictable manner, usually toward the same direction, but opposite angle. Most of the lights seen at night come from above the horizon. If they encounter a horizontal scratch, they are going to reflect back UP, which happens to be in your eyes. If they were to encounter a vertical scratch, they will reflect down, away from your eyes. Circles might sound like a good alternative until you realize that the top and bottom of every circle is somewhat horizontal.

Never wipe a dry piece of plastic, even with a wet cloth. I carry a wet microfiber cloth in a zip-lock bag in the saddlebag. There is actually a considerable amount of water in the bag, too. When I stop (fuel, meal, whatever), I open it up and lay it on the windshield. By the time I am done fueling, I will go ahead and wipe the (now softened) dead bugs off the windshield. If nobody is waiting for the pump, I will go ahead and apply a light coat of wax.

Oh, now you tell me. I've been doing it wrong for 45 years... 😯
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

per Steve's..
                              Just a tip for anyone with a visor or a windshield: Only wipe the plastic UP AND DOWN, NEVER side to side or in circles
                              excellent point and what manufacturers recommend too...I suppose too it's that the circular scratches are gauranteed to scatter light in all directions!
                              When my visor gets covered with bugs, I remove it and wash it in the kitchen sink. I use a tiny bit of dishwashing soap and my fingers
                              yeah, fingerprints do seem to awful good "rubbers" with dishsoap...maybe because skin has just the right softness in water....

I open it (wet cloth)up and lay it on the windshield.
                              This is one I do try to practise on my windjammer screen:the hardened bug-guts still need a bit of motion but easing their exoskeletons off before any wiping is probably the main thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                                I have used rain x on my shoei on the outside and rain x antifog on the inside without harm chipping peeling fading discolouration or any rash
                                hmm That's interesting..I have a bottle of the Car stuff I really want to use up but per the info I've read, I 've hesitated, and yet... the Rainx especially for plastic seems to get indifferent reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X