Helmet Visor fog and rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    When my visor gets covered with bugs, I remove it and wash it in the kitchen sink. I use a tiny bit of dishwashing soap and my fingers - never a cloth. I dry it by waving it in the breeze. If there's a few drops of water left, I use a tissue.

etc...
    I use the same method before leaving the house, except I usually dry it with a paper towel. I use the vertical strokes, like Steve recommends. Just about any soap will do, as long as it doesn't contain any abrasive like pumice.

At gas stations, I frequently use the cleaner/squeegee thing they keep at the pumps. Make sure the thing is reasonably clean, and there won't be any trouble for the visor. The squeegee is the only thing that doesn't get vertical strokes. Doing this while wearing the helmet is easiest, and often gets a laugh from cagers.

I've been doing these things for over 10 years, and somewhere over 60,000 miles of riding. I haven't destroyed a visor yet with these methods. I figure, even if I have to pay $50 or whatever to replace a visor a couple years early, it's easily worth it for the reduction in hassle.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I carry a can of Pledge with me when I ride, it’s the best thing to get bugs and road grime off. Been using it since I can remember.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Soap works but, right applied before every ride.
        I just remember to lift the visor as I slow into a stop sign or light.
        Not gonna buy the new mo-betta helmet fo the new mo-betta cool cuase I got mo-money bling-bling…
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-01-2019, 09:08 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          When my visor gets covered with bugs, I remove it and wash it in the kitchen sink. I use a tiny bit of dishwashing soap and my fingers - never a cloth. I dry it by waving it in the breeze. If there's a few drops of water left, I use a tissue.

Riding in fog and rain? That was in my 20's - 40 years ago. But I understand the need for transportation if you don't also own a Cadillac.

Just don't do all the things I did in my teens and early twenties: on angel dust with an underage female passenger, 115 mph in the rain, etc., etc., etc.
          Meguiars has a solution....works well. I have been using it for a couple of decades.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
            Meguiars has a solution....works well. I have been using it for a couple of decades.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...0-10-oz-liquid
            I will +1 this as a great product though I’ve only used it for 8 years now
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              I use the same method before leaving the house, except I usually dry it with a paper towel. I use the vertical strokes, like Steve recommends. Just about any soap will do, as long as it doesn't contain any abrasive like pumice.

At gas stations, I frequently use the cleaner/squeegee thing they keep at the pumps. Make sure the thing is reasonably clean, and there won't be any trouble for the visor. The squeegee is the only thing that doesn't get vertical strokes. Doing this while wearing the helmet is easiest, and often gets a laugh from cagers.

I've been doing these things for over 10 years, and somewhere over 60,000 miles of riding. I haven't destroyed a visor yet with these methods. I figure, even if I have to pay $50 or whatever to replace a visor a couple years early, it's easily worth it for the reduction in hassle.
              Ive never seen a cleaner/squeegee at a gas station that is reasonably clean. I am fairly sceptical even of using it for my cars windshields. I saw a child washing his/her grandmothers (I assume) car doors with one, and it physically pained me.

I keep some window/glasses wipes with me, and use those for the visor. Not sure if the chemicals will harm the visor, but they won't scratch it. And visors are consumables anyways.

But maybe they take better care of them where you live.

Why not just use a bottle of windex or isopropanol and a rag?
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

Why not just use a bottle of windex or isopropanol and a rag?
                Windex is mostly Ammonia, it cuts plastic. Alcohol is a solvent, it also takes off any anti-fog coating.
                Any dirt or dust is abrasive, soap works by sticking to dirt so it slips off the plastic without scratching. Works on cloth or hands the same way, the dirt slips off.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Gas station squeegees are pretty hit and miss. A lot of stations don't bother to keep any or they're dry, etc. A cursory examination is all you need to make sure you're not about to plow a furrow into your visor. It's not like there's ever shards of metal or glass embedded in the sponge, and bugs aren't hard enough to matter. If I think I might have something abrasive on the visor, I pop it off and take it into the bathroom for soap and water treatment.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

And visors are consumables anyways.
                    often quite hard to find after 2 or 3 years..certainly not in a local store. Too many helmet varieties to stock spares . So, if you can find them, they can be very expensive, shipping and all...

I think the gas station bathroom is the best idea here. Those gas station squeegees-The insect chiton will do for plastics- not sure about glass..but the dust will... I won't even use them on my car windshield if I can help it. The dust/dirt in it can microscratch your windshield and eventually nightdriving exhibits rings around every headlight. (carry your own squeegee and a bottle of lightly soaped water)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      often quite hard to find after 2 or 3 years..certainly not in a local store. Too many helmet varieties to stock spares . So, if you can find them, they can be very expensive, shipping and all...

I think the gas station bathroom is the best idea here. Those gas station squeegees-The insect chiton will do for plastics- not sure about glass..but the dust will... I won't even use them on my car windshield if I can help it. The dust/dirt in it can microscratch your windshield and eventually nightdriving exhibits rings around every headlight. (carry your own squeegee and a bottle of lightly soaped water)
                      €40 for the visor, $26 for the pinlock and shipping (since norway add €18 for the privledge of paying vat and 25% vat). Why can't they make one standard across the board? Arrrgh.

When I worked at the gas station, we replaced the water for the squeegie, but never cleaned them. Until they broke they were sandy and gritty. Apart from the first day.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Windex is mostly Ammonia, it cuts plastic. Alcohol is a solvent, it also takes off any anti-fog coating.
                        Any dirt or dust is abrasive, soap works by sticking to dirt so it slips off the plastic without scratching. Works on cloth or hands the same way, the dirt slips off.
                        The visors have anti-fog coatings on the outside?

Good to know about the windex.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                        X