Check your fuel tap outlet pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your fuel tap outlet pipe

On both GS850s I have, the fuel outlet pipe from the petcock has pulled right out of the alloy body.
    Luckily, it didn't happen on the road, but the first one parted company from the parent body when I was removing the fuel hose. I pulled on the second one to see if it was similarly afflicted, and it pulled out without much effort at all.
    As a stopgap measure, I may rough up the pipe(s) and hole(s) and try inserting the pipes with a coating of epoxy, but I've no great faith the epoxy will resist modern fuel for all that long.
    It's a bit of a sod, because both petcocks were rebuilt just a couple of years ago and sealed perfectly well.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

There's a gas resistant epoxy available.

It's used to repair fuel tanks

Just ask AZR
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yes, I haven't seen jbweld fail around ethanol mixed gas (10% here in Canada)..I've got some as dabs on a tank...and as clumps where pipes join on brass (Seagull motors)...but..the thing about epoxy that occurs to me is that it's kind of thick for what you're about there...I don't think it likes to be thin and doesn't really work itself in between tight pipe joins or threads like solder does...So, if it works, it'll be as clumps around the outside of a join like a weld...ugly and takes up room where there's a pipe wanting to slip on a nipple
      I've a Dim memory of using a lead solder on something like this to fill the void between the brass and "potmetal" that worked ..might even do to tin the tube alone and then mallet the tinned pipe into the pot metal...

Comment

What about Loctite? Sure would be quick 'n easy; just has to not leak and not pull out.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Blue hylomar is resistant to petrol and would seal but not sure about how it would deal with pulling the pipe off again.
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

I araldited the pipes in and I'll see how they last.
            In the meantime I've discovered the cheerful Chinese are knocking out GSX600F vacuum fuel taps for a tenner, and the bolt hole centres are 45mm, just about right for the GS.
            I've ordered one up, should arrive next week.
            s-l1600f.jpg
            Last edited by Grimly; 02-19-2019, 09:55 PM.
            ---- Dave
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              I araldited the pipes in and I'll see how they last.
              In the meantime I've discovered the cheerful Chinese are knocking out GSX600F vacuum fuel taps for a tenner, and the bolt hole centres are 45mm, just about right for the GS.
              I've ordered one up, should arrive next week.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]57339[/ATTACH]
              Let us know how the Chinese fuel tap works out. Ten monetary units seems about right; I've never figured out why these damn things are so stupidly expensive. It's an extremely simple little valve that should be about five bucks.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Let us know how the Chinese fuel tap works out. Ten monetary units seems about right; I've never figured out why these damn things are so stupidly expensive. It's an extremely simple little valve that should be about five bucks.
                I've just posted that.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                X