Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    That seller is legit.
    Another vote for the seller, very quick postage and genuine product.
    Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

I also have an 82' Honda XL185 that I take long rides on and was thinking of installing an SH775 on it like I did to my GS450T as I was very pleased with the charging when I replaced my stator and installed the SH775:anyone think that'll work ??

Comment

If the small Honda has a 12 volt permanent magnet generator, it should work exactly the same as the GS. However, it might only be a single phase on it. I don't suppose the SH-775 will care much about that.
        Need more info.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

are they not 6v?
          also isnt it a magneto not an ac gen.
          Last edited by Cipher; 08-18-2020, 04:14 PM.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Do you need to cut the end off the harness for the triump on the non sha775 end to attach bullet connectors? Or do you attach triump ends to the bikes harness?
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                Do you need to cut the end off the harness for the triump on the non sha775 end to attach bullet connectors? Or do you attach triump ends to the bikes harness?
                The Triumph harness has the connectors to match the SH775 on one end and what I assume are connectors specific to Triumph bikes on the other end. You need to cut off the triumph harness connectors and either attach bullets/spades or better yet, solder the wires to those on your bike. And please be sure to follow the diagram which shows how the stator wires are fed directly into the R/R.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The Triumph harness has the connectors to match the SH775 on one end and what I assume are connectors specific to Triumph bikes on the other end. You need to cut off the triumph harness connectors and either attach bullets/spades or better yet, solder the wires to those on your bike. And please be sure to follow the diagram which shows how the stator wires are fed directly into the R/R.
                  Thank you, this clarified exactly what I was wondering about.

The bullet connector wires to the stator, do they go straight to the stator? Or do I need to run all new wires all the way from the stator?
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

The Stator has its own wiring that you will connect it to
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Is this test done with bike ticking over because when I rev it goes above 0.3

Comment

Originally posted by Mafiera View Post
                        Yes, this test has to be done with the bike running/charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Mafiera View Post
                          To which test are you referring? All of the stator tests of which I am aware are performed at 5000 RPM, not tick-over (idle). What are you measuring at .3? .3 what? I'm not an electrical expert (not even a novice), so my questions are just as much to clarify this info in my own brain, as they are to maybe help anyone else trying to diagnose charging issues.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

This may help with the connections
                            This is using the Triumph link lead

Triumph part# T2500676.

Cut off the two small plugs then carefully split the harness so you have one plug with two brown and two black wires twist the Browns together likewise with the blacks so you now have a plug with one brown and one black so to speak.
                            The brown connects to the red wire in the bikes harness where the original rectifier/regulator red connected to, know as the T connection on various posts on here.
                            The black connects to the single point ground see many posts on here or just use the search facility for information.
                            The three blacks on the other plug connect to the three wires that come from the stator it does not matter which wire connects to which ( there is no polarity)
                            All joints where twisted together soldered and shrink wrapped.
                            The two left over wires in the bikes harness can be taped up and tucked away as they were for the handle bar loop and are not in use now.

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                            past bikes. RF900
                            TL1000s
                            Hayabusa
                            gsx 750f x2
                            197cc Francis Barnett
                            various British nails

Comment

I just did this process (the R/R is just dangling besides the bike though, the holes doesn't fit, Ill strips it to test and then figure out how to make new holes in the bike afterwards).

I checked the stator, all pairs were like 67 volts at like 3-4000 rpm. After installing it I got charging current up to 14.82 but it didn't increase after that even as revs increased.

Does this mean I am all good? Apart from having to solder the wires (I just used quick clips that is meant for indoor lamps to quickly hold everything).

I forgot to messure the resistance though, got caught up with the brake light being useless.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

I think your stator tests are generally within tolerance perhaps a tad low, I believe is 80 v ac maximum from the stator. 14.5 v dc at 5000rpm is ideal. At the moment your readings are ok but test again at 5000rpm if you get the same it's ok if it rises considerably then you could boil the battery, it could be your multimeter is reading a little high.
                                As for the holes some have filled out the rectifier personally I do not favour that more so if it is under guarantee on the 850 I took out the battery box and removed the existing bracket that the Oem rectifier was fitted to and made a new bracket out of aluminium Then riveting it back onto the battery box I also angled it so that it made it easier to remove the plugs.
                                Or remove the battery box and just file the holes to suit the rectifier.
                                Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 06-13-2021, 11:08 AM.
                                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                                past bikes. RF900
                                TL1000s
                                Hayabusa
                                gsx 750f x2
                                197cc Francis Barnett
                                various British nails

Comment

Working...
                                X