Tip on how to "easily" get your carb rack back into the boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip on how to "easily" get your carb rack back into the boots

If you've taken the carbs off your bike, you know getting them back into the boots can be very difficult. Today when I went to return my freshly cleaned carbs to the bike I decided I was going to work smarter, not harder. To use this trick you will need a 4x4 slightly longer than your carb gang, a short section of 2x4 (mine was about 2'), a rubber mallet, and a rachet strap. It doesn't need to be heavy duty, I used one with 400 lbs max pulling force. You will place the 2x4 across the front of your frame, to distribute weight evenly, the 4x4 goes across the back of your carbs, the rachet strap goes around all of this. I racheted it up tight, but not overly so, once the slack was out I racheted it twice. This will hold the carbs in position, as you gently tap the back of the 4x4 with the rubber mallet to get the carbs to seat. In the past I've struggled for nearly an hour trying to get the carbs back on the bike; today, I was done in 5 minutes. Some might think using the frame as an anchor point is a poor idea, but IMO this was even less stress than strapping the bike down for transport would put on the frame. Would love to hear your feedback, or other tips to make reinstalling the carbs easier.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

I throw a leg over and sit on the frame, above the battery. Feet on the pegs grab carbs on left and right and wiggle into the boots. A little silicone grease helps things slide together.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

And then how do you get the airbox in?

Comment

Didn't know they had 2x4s in Japan, or even 4x4s wow…
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          And then how do you get the airbox in?
          On the big shafties, you just put it in. If it's difficult, you need new rubber.

Like Burkue73, I sit on the bike to install the carbs. Once I get 1 or 4 in, the rest follow more easily. Sometimes I scooch back and push with my feet once I get them aligned. Rocking them up and down helps a lot too. I never remember to try lube. If you don't have the strength you want, or the intake boots are marginal, the ratchet strap might be a good trick to keep handy.
          Last edited by Dogma; 03-02-2019, 07:22 PM.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            On the big shafties, you just put it in. If it's difficult, you need new rubber.

Like Burkue73, I sit on the bike to install the carbs. Once I get 1 or 4 in, the rest follow more easily. Sometimes I scooch back and push with my feet once I get them aligned. Rocking them up and down helps a lot too. I never remember to try lube. If you don't have the strength you want, or the intake boots are marginal, the ratchet strap might be a good trick to keep handy.
            My boots are probably marginal, but they don't have any airleaks or cracks yet so I'm going to keep running them. And I don't have the strength I would probably need to get them in by hand, so using the rachet straps was pretty much my only option.
            1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
            1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles

Comment

so air box slides in after the carbs are fitted on shafties?

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                so air box slides in after the carbs are fitted on shafties?
                That's correct.

Comment

If you have to go with that palaver you definitely need new rubbers.
                  The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

Heat softens old rubber...use heatgun (not too hot!) or even rags from hot water...(wear gloves-"hot" hurts! again, rubber needn't be boiling hot)
                    a bit of greasy stuff is a help.

You might even try soapy water or tire-lube (used to mount tubeless tires)
                    BUT
                    Danger-If you force carbs onto old, cold rubber with levers or ratchets, you will risk tearing that ridge off that matches the groove on your carb mouths...you needn't ask how I know this
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-03-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

That’s either WAY too much effort or the wrong bike.

I LIKE my shafties. With relatively fresh boots, the carbs slide right in

Once they are clamped, you can just about stand next to the bike and throw the airbox into place.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Years ago I put a 2 x 4 across the back of the carbs. I then had an old bed rail that fit down through the frame and levered them into place. I didn't have any issues getting the airbox back on IIRC. The next time they come off, I've got new boots for the airbox and intake in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          That’s either WAY too much effort or the wrong bike.

Once they are clamped, you can just about stand next to the bike and throw the airbox into place.

It was probably a combo of the boots being close to end of life, and my heated garage still being somewhat cold (low 50s F), making the rubber that was already not super flexible pretty solid. I'll order new boots the next time the carbs or airbox needs to come off the bike, but this helped me get them back on when nothing else seemed to work.

Comment

Agreed about the shafties being easier, not sure why but also not complaining!
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------
                            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Whenever you are going to change the boots, there is an O ring on the engine side. Change those as well or you may have an air leak. There are ways of softening the boots by soaking them in wintergreen oil. There may still be a thread on that here somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X