Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip on how to "easily" get your carb rack back into the boots

Thatís either WAY too much effort or the wrong bike.

I LIKE my shafties. With relatively fresh boots, the carbs slide right in

Once they are clamped, you can just about stand next to the bike and throw the airbox into place.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

fixmybrokecomputer Guest

Years ago I put a 2 x 4 across the back of the carbs. I then had an old bed rail that fit down through the frame and levered them into place. I didn't have any issues getting the airbox back on IIRC. The next time they come off, I've got new boots for the airbox and intake in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Thatís either WAY too much effort or the wrong bike.

Once they are clamped, you can just about stand next to the bike and throw the airbox into place.

It was probably a combo of the boots being close to end of life, and my heated garage still being somewhat cold (low 50s F), making the rubber that was already not super flexible pretty solid. I'll order new boots the next time the carbs or airbox needs to come off the bike, but this helped me get them back on when nothing else seemed to work.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Agreed about the shafties being easier, not sure why but also not complaining!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Whenever you are going to change the boots, there is an O ring on the engine side. Change those as well or you may have an air leak. There are ways of softening the boots by soaking them in wintergreen oil. There may still be a thread on that here somewhere.

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Crikey, that's a fantastic recipe for bending and breaking unobtanium parts... please PLEASE don't raid the lumberyard to get your carbs back in, people.

I use a versatile power tool found in my wallet. It's a plastic rectangle with an assortment of magic numbers I use to order up a fresh set of boots.

Some shortcuts and money-saving measures are worth taking. This one is not.

For some bikes, new carb boot sets are available from https://www.cruzinimage.net/ at a much friendlier price. By all accounts thus far, and from what I've seen personally, they appear to be high quality parts from Japan.

It's also important to replace the rubbers from the airbox to the carbs. If yours are old, shrunken, and hardened, you will be amazed at how much larger and more flexible they are. Many people have been convinced they received the wrong parts because old ones shrink so much.

But sometimes you're really stuck in a situation where the Visa trick won't work because you can't get the boots any more. If the boots are just hardened and shrunken, but not separated or cracked you can often get usable results by soaking the rubber in a solution of wintergreen oil and xylene. This replaces the plasticizers in the rubber and can often get these parts usable again.

There's a commercial product called Rubber Renue, but it's very spendy, and some folks have purchased the ingredients and mixed up their own. Xylene can be found in any paint department, but wintergreen oil (AKA methyl salicylate) is a little harder to find. I've done this with good results. You do have to start with intact parts; if they're separated or cracked, they're not recoverable.
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-05-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

I found that using a lot of Heavy Duty Swear Words can help a lot.
    You can get a variety at Harbor Fright.
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

I can think of 2 easy ways to do it: 1) buy new boots from time to time, and 2) pay someone to do it for you. Please note: he said "easy" , not "cheap".
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 Yamaha SR500
    1981 GS1100E

I'm a big fan of using a heat gun, to warm up the boots. Be careful not to melt/scorch them, but get them nice and warm.

on the GSX ...New rubbers, grease, heat gun, sometimes a strap...and a lot of cursing seems to help.

On my CBX with 6carbs removal or installation goes way beyond difficult. Removal requires tilting the engine, I discovered I could use the reverse technique to install. Line up carbs between air box and intake rubbers and gently jack the engine back into position, with a little grease they pop right back in.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF