X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My starter button fell out!

Hi everyone,

Today my starter button fell out!

Thankfully it was just as I used it and not while I was riding - so I have the button and the spring. What I don't have is the thing (whatever that is) that holds everything in place in the handle.

I've had a look at the expanded diagrams but nothing shows the detail of the starter button.

I would be very grateful if someone could post a picture of the bit I'm missing so that I can make one - unless they're for sale somewhere... and not ridiculously expensive.

Thanks in advance.
    Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Photo 1

53020139_10157659036183521_2077142971433615360_n.jpg One view of the empty socket.
    Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

53557080_10157659036913521_5543165657861849088_n.jpg Another view..
      Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Those buttons are molded in one piece with a collar on the inside end. If the collar has broken off (what it sounds like) then the button will need to be replaced. Finding replacement internal parts for the handlebar control units is a non-trivial task. Best bet would be that some kind member would have one he will let you have.
        Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
        1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Solved it! :-D
          I measured the hole and the button and designed a plastic insert then 3D printed it. Pictures below (NB in the 3rd image I've got the spring upside down.) I used Shoe Goo to glue it in place. Shoe goo is rubber type glue that should resist vibration but not make it impossible to remove if I have to.
          If anyone needs the .STL file, let me know.

IMG_20190306_211207.jpg
          Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Nicely done! It's not every day you see a 3D printed solution to a problem with an old GS.

Cheers!

Comment

Well done, Argee.

Knowing nothing about 3D printers, i have a couple general questions.
              Is there different materials that can be used?
              Are any of them heat resistant, like engine temps?
              Would any of them be chemical resistant? Stand up to gasoline?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi Steve,
                There are lots of different types of filament that you can get for 3D printers nowadays with lots of different properties. My 3D printer is fairly basic - it came as a kit with a magazine. I use 2 types of filament - PLA, which I think is plant based and has a comparatively low melting point ( that's what I used for this repair) I also use ABS which has a higher melting point. I used that to replace my cracked insert on my cam chain tensioner, and my choke lever. The limiting factor for more exotic filaments will be how hot you can get your nozzle and print bed - as well as finding the best way to get your item to adhere to the print bed. I did ask previously is there was a way to upload the files for each item I've made so far, but sadly there isn't.
                Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                X