Gas Not Leaving Float Bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Not Leaving Float Bowls

Hello all. New forum member here. I picked up my first GS a couple months ago. This is my first project bike. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find it anywhere.

It is a '82 GS550L. It has good spark and I believe decent compression, as it will turn over and run when starting fluid or even gasoline are sprayed down the carb throats.

Won't turn over on its own power. Not even a cough. I've cleaned the carb dipped the CV carbs and cleaned everything backward and forward. When I pull the plugs after trying to run it, they are dry, but if I loosen the valves on the bottom of the float bowls, a decent amount of gas comes out. It seems the gas isn't making it out of the float bowls. The pilot jet and main jet of each carb are clean. The PO must have replaced the rubber as all are pliable and well fit. I doubt there is a vacuum leak.

Any and all advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for not mentioning, as far as I can tell, everything is stock on the bike. Stock airbox, stock exhaust, jets, etc.

Comment

Your engine is basiclly an air pump. pulls air in and pumps it out. You need to check the air filter box seal, rubber boots and seals to make sure they are seating properly and you don't have a huge air leak problem. Might want to check the valve adjustment as well. Make sure they are opening and closing right. Check your compression to make sure, I believe it has decent doesn't cut it...make sure. Check the plugs, are they sparking? At the last resort, recheck the carbs, make sure the main jets are clear. Process of elimination.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I appreciate it.
        The plugs are firing. I'll double check the compression. I was confident the problem was with the carbs as a couple squirts of gas down the airbox got it to fire, no problem, but I will go back and start double checking everything. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Dan, your assumption is correct
          If it starts with spray, it's not getting any gas
          Did you follow the carb rebuild tutorial when you dipped them?
          Is your air box connected?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How long were the carbs dipped? What dip did you use? If you followed the directions on the can, you need to do the job over.

The directions on Berryman's and GUNK dip say to immerse the parts for 15-30 minutes. Those directions were probably written back when the chemicals inside the can could actually do the job in that amount of time, but the EPA and other "safety" weenies have reduced the effectiveness of the chemicals without re-writing the instructions.

The instructions should read: "Immerse the parts for 15-30 HOURS."

Did you replace the o-rings in the carbs? If all you did is remove the pilot and main jets, then throw the carb in the dip for a few minutes, you will have to do the job over.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah. I did completely pull apart the carbs front to back to dip them. Used new o-rings and reconnected the air box. However, I followed the directions on the label. This is good to know. I’ll redip them for much longer. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Make sure you have EVERYTHING out of the carbs, including the "choke" plungers.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

On CV carbs there is a passage in the float bowl that feeds the choke with fuel. No choke = no start with CV carbs. The orifice is VERY small, maybe .025 inch and easily plugged. Page 51 here: https://thexscafedotcom.files.wordpr...d_tutorial.pdf
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I believe it also possible to use the wrong float bowl gasket and block those "choke" passages.
                    1981 Suzuki GS250T
                    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                    1985 Suzuki GS550E
                    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

That would be very difficult.

The opening is near the bottom of the float bowl, the pickup tube goes down a hole in the edge.

There is no way a gasket is going to block anything and still allow assembly of the bowl to the carb body.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Your right, not really the choke passages. But isn't there an air vent passage the passes through the float gasket on the same side as the choke tube?
                        1981 Suzuki GS250T
                        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                        1985 Suzuki GS550E
                        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Yes, there is a passage, but I never have figured out why.

At the top of the chamber, near the center of the carb body, is the vent port that is directly vented to atmosphere.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X