Champagne 83' GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champagne 83' GS1100E

I'm in the process of purchasing an 83' GS1100E. It's Suzuki's "Champagne" color. The side panels are repaired on the bike and need painted.

Have you Guys found a paint the closely matches the Factory color or can you still find it ?

The "Champagne" color was an '82 offering. Does this bike have 'snowflake' wheels or the '83 three-spoke? Is the engine black?

Better yet, post a pic and the experts will ID it for you.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, the bike has 3-spoke wheels, engine is black, speedo is 140 mph with 9500 rpm tach

Comment

I guess the PO just likes that '82 color. No accounting for taste.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Now after this discussion, let's get down to Paint. Does anyone know where to find it or have used other Brands that have worked well ?

Comment

A paint shop should be able to scan/ match it. Gold is the hardest to match is what i've heard.

Comment

It's funny why Suzuki calls this color "champagne" when it's silver ? There's got to be someone who has used a color from a different application that closely matches the factory color ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2019, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I've seen the champagne color. I don't believe your bike is champagne. Are you sure it hasn't been re-painted?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

It doesn't appear to be. What do you have that represents the Suzuki "champagne" color ?

Comment

If it's '83 and "Champagne", it's been repainted (or it's got 82 bodywork). '82's came in Champagne and Maroon.

'83's came in blue and red, and as far as I know, all '83 engines were black.
                    Last edited by Rob S.; 03-29-2019, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I didn't open up this Post to debate what year the Bike is. Personally I really don't care. I'm just trying to find a Source where to purchase the Paint or if anyone ever used Something else from an Automotive application that Matched ? Good grief, can we get Past This !

Comment

Not sure of the year, but the only Suzuki motorcycle paint reference to "champagne" is YMP - Pale Champagne Gold Metallic. Your bike definitely looks silver from the picture, so it may have been painted. It definitely does not look anywhere close to a gold metallic.

Cheers!

Comment

As you were advised earlier in your thread..take a part that has a good spot of the color and have it scanned at an auto paint store. They can match it up for you. They may even be able to put it in a spray can if that's how you want to go. If nothing else you can go through their paint chips and maybe find something, too. These bikes are decades old..no one just has a can to match sitting on the shelf waiting for you to come in and buy it. Good luck in your search.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                            A paint shop should be able to scan/ match it. Gold is the hardest to match is what i've heard.
                            Yes sir, gold is hard to match. I bought a used upper fairing and had it painted. The mid fairings were bought NOS and the paint was perfect, so I didn't want to mess with painting those too. They scanned it with the tool they have at the body shop. Nobody else seems to notice, but I do every time I look at it. It depends on the lighting as to whether or not I notice it a lot or a little or for those other than me, not at all.

Comment

Working...
                            X