Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Carb fluttering and bogging down at 60mph

Hi all, looking for some help please!!!
    I bought some vaccum carbs from a GS850 to put on my bike, They have been cleaned and rebuilt and are now on my bike however when i started my bike it runs ok on the choke and it good on the bottom end but when i get it any gas it just bogs down after 60 mph... The slides are not going up very well and are really fluttering... What have i missed out on when doing the carbs or is there something else i am not doing right???
    The only thing that i have done do my bike apart from the carbs is new piston rings and a decoke..

Desperate to get it sorted

Cheers All

Sam

Sam, Welcome to TheGSR.

Originally posted by Welshbird View Post
    ............................. to put on my bike, .............
    And which model is that...? (maybe add that info in your signature line, then it shows up in every post).

Can you go higher rpm in lower gear?

Describe about your airbox (or lack thereof).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks Redman,

It is a GS850G

i can only go very slightly high rpm in lower gear.

Airbox, is a custom one that i have had on my bike for a while.

Comment

Did it ever work well with your custom airbox?

These carbs are rather sensitive to turbulent air coming into the carbs, so smooth airflow is critical. A stock airbox has individual runners that resemble velocity stacks. Even most (decent) pod filters have a tapered runner that helps smoothe the flow a bit. With a "custom" airbox, there is no way to know.

Just so you know, the slides in the carbs do not control airflow, they respond to it. If you can see the slides fluttering, it seems obvious that you don't have the airbox on, and it will NOT run smoothly.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did it run ok with previous carb rack..and this custom airbox? How about a pic?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

One thing I've seen cause this sort of thing on a stock GS850 is the ends of the vent tubes are hanging out in the airstream. They're supposed to be tucked behind the airbox in the little clip provided. If the ends are in the airflow, you'll get all sorts of odd stuff.

But with all the other unknown factors here, uh... I dunno. As Steve mentioned, turbulence in general causes all sorts of odd issues for CV carbs.

In a stock GS850, the airbox MUST be sealed for proper airflow. That means air only gets in the airbox and past the filter where it's supposed to get in. And it also means the snorkel on the back of the airbox MUST be in place and intact.

With your mystery setup... impossible to tell what's happening.
            Last edited by bwringer; 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have the same problem but with a stock airbox on an 85 GS850G with CV carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                I have the same problem but with a stock airbox on an 85 GS850G with CV carbs
                Where are you?

As far as I know, '85 850s were not available in the USA, but I don't know where all they <were> available.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just re-checked the registration papers and yep its built in 85 and registered on the road here in 86
                  Here being Germany not that that matters much really

Comment

Well, yes, it does. German air behaves considerably different than American air.

I still have a question, though: How can you tell the slides are fluttering? The only way to see that is to remove the airbox. If you remove the airbox, the slides WILL do strange things, but the bike will be rather unrideable in that condition.

OK, German air might not be all that different, but if you were to ask about where to order something, we would not have the slightest clue that what we were recommending would be on the other side of the globe.

It would be handy for those who respond to your queries to know where you are and what bike you are talking about. Don't need an address, but editing your profile to show a town or region would help. Also handy is creating a signature that mentions your bike. Does not have to be anything fancy, just a simply "Current bike: '85 GS850G" would be good.

Last edited by Steve; 04-15-2019, 09:59 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      One thing I've seen cause this sort of thing on a stock GS850 is the ends of the vent tubes are hanging out in the airstream. They're supposed to be tucked behind the airbox in the little clip provided. If the ends are in the airflow, you'll get all sorts of odd stuff.

But with all the other unknown factors here, uh... I dunno. As Steve mentioned, turbulence in general causes all sorts of odd issues for CV carbs.

In a stock GS850, the airbox MUST be sealed for proper airflow. That means air only gets in the airbox and past the filter where it's supposed to get in. And it also means the snorkel on the back of the airbox MUST be in place and intact.

With your mystery setup... impossible to tell what's happening.

The Snorkel? My airbox has an opening in the back...but it's just bare metal... Am I missing a part?
                      sigpic
                      Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

I just happen to have my airbox off, I'll grab a quick picture for you.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Well, that's not good. Any ideas on what, where and how I can find a replacement? I'm already done an Ebay and Amazon search.... Will check the boneyard this week.
                          sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Can't order that part, the only thing I can think of is to watch eBay or check the boneyards.

Most of the larger (850+) shafties have that snorkel, so that might expand your search a bit.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Can't order that part, the only thing I can think of is to watch eBay or check the boneyards.

Most of the larger (850+) shafties have that snorkel, so that might expand your search a bit.

Are the 80, 81, 82 airboxes interchangeable? From what I've read the GS750s have many of the same parts.. And I also guess the "L"s have a different box than the Gs.... ?
                              sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Working...
                              X