Compression #'s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression #'s ?

Looking at purchasing an 83' GS1100E with around 27,000 miles. What should I look for in good compression #'s ?

Values in the FSM. 150psi would represent a respectable engine.
    Last edited by Nessism; 04-18-2020, 10:25 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Get your numbers on a warm engine, if possible, be sure to hold the throttle wide open while checking.

Actual numbers can be interesting, but consistency across the four is just as important.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Prior owner measured all cylinders for compression. All were even at 150 +

Purchased Bike
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GSDCW View Post
          Prior owner measured all cylinders for compression. All were even at 150 +

Purchased Bike
          Rule #1: Never believe Previous Owner without verifying.....
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            What could happen if I did believe everything the PO told me?

Could I get a tan? Slightly warm? Or burned to a crisp?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              What could happen if I did believe everything the PO told me?
              What WOULD happen is you would get what you deserve.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's why I can't help smiling looking at my 11E. The gods were smiling on me when I bought her.
                Last edited by Rob S.; 04-19-2020, 03:03 AM.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  Rule #1A - Previous Owners LIE !

Not ALWAYS - but often enough for it to become a rule .
                  Hopefully you found the exception to that rule
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

After. I purchased my 11E (running nicely) and then got it running even better, I asked my mechanic if we should check compression.

He said, "No. It runs great, you love it, right? Knowing compression could only cause you heartache."

I like that. I'm not even going to check the air in the tires any more!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      After. I purchased my 11E (running nicely) and then got it running even better, I asked my mechanic if we should check compression.

He said, "No. It runs great, you love it, right? Knowing compression could only cause you heartache."

I like that. I'm not even going to check the air in the tires any more!
                      I like that mechanic.

If it runs great, you love it, and don't have the funds/time/energy to address any compression issues, then I would agree with him. Don't check it and enjoy the bike.

If you have the funds/time/energy, then by all means, check it.

I know the checking tire air pressure was a joke, but not checking tire air pressure can get you killed or seriously injured, whereas not checking compression won't do that.
                      1980 GS850G (~33,000mi)

Comment

Right you are. Checked, then added a few lbs front and rear before a 100 mile day today. Couldn't do the real 'buck' , though 'cause I was riding with little brother and wanted to keep an eye on him.

Comment

Just got my bike back from the shop. 150 # in all but one piston, that show 110 #s. Bike is running well, so I wonder if the test was off.
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Adjusting the valves might fix it.
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Hey Rob, glad to hear you're feeli'n better? 100 mi. day, did you find a sidecar? or just heal quick? GSDCW, I've always wanted an "83" black eng. with the "82" Champagne colored body work. To me looks way better than the "83" bright red or drab blue W/ black eng. or the "82" champagne or maroon W/ silver eng. Congrats.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X