Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New GS1100G(K) owner from Colorado

I must say, the naked GK looks pretty cool like that. Well done. I assume you've gone through all the electrical connections? If not, there may be a culprit in one of those somewhere. Either clean all of them or replace them with a spade type.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

A beauty for sure.

Maybe check the petcock and look for a kinked line somewhere?

Sorry for the late response and thank you for your input! The intermittent "shuddering" is still there. I can ride the bike for 100 miles and it performs flawlessly and runs strong and the next moment the engine seems to run out of gas.

Today the bike left me stranded in the mountains (we moved to Clovis, close to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Today, for the first time, the engine stalled and would not start again. There was no cell service. After I opened the tank vent and checked that there was gas in the clear fuel line I tried to start the bike again and it wouldn't start.

Switching the (new) petcock to PRI did not help.

10 minutes later it started and I was able to ride for ~10 miles, then it started running poorly again and the engine stalled again. Same scenario happened three times - after a 10 - 20 min waiting period the bike started again and I was able to make it home.

On the last leg of the trip the bike accelerated as strongly as always, was a pleasure to ride.

I will check the fuel flow through from the petcock. Why would fuel starvation be intermittent and why would the bike start after sitting for some time?

Thank you in advance!
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

Have you checked the coils? I've heard of coils behaving that way.

Usually when you think you have a fuel problem, it turns out to be electrical.

Good luck.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

First thing I always think of when I hear symptoms like that is the carb boots leaking air. Had much the same thing happen on my old GS1000G, and it was the carb-to-head boots had cracks. Should have replaced them but didnt have the green, so the mechanic smeared silicone sealer on the boots. It worked but I dont really recommend that.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Thank you, Larry!

The entire ignition system, including the coils, has been replaced with new parts, but the issue has not gone away.

I started a new thread to consolidate all the facts.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnManCA View Post
    Thank you, Larry!

The entire ignition system, including the coils, has been replaced with new parts, but the issue has not gone away.

I started a new thread to consolidate all the facts.
    Yes, my bad. I saw where you mentioned replacing the coils. Sorry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

It looks like the issue is resolved!

Thanks again for all your input! I focused very much on fuel starvation. Removed the tank, tested the petcock in all three positions.

Started the bike without fuel supply to empty the float bowls. Reconnected tank, put petcock in PRI position. Did not see any fuel flowing in the clear fuel line.
    It looks like the issue is resolved!

Removed tank again, thoroughly followed fuel line and saw it was kinked!! Rerouted and shortened it. Put petcock in PRI position again and this time I saw the clear part of the fuel line filling up with fuel.

Took 70 mile spirited test ride close to home in a cell phone reception area. Bike ran flawlessly and strong. First ride without any hesitation! Will do another test ride soon to confirm things and regain confidence in the reliability of this amazing bike!
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

Did another 80 test drive and the bike ran very well! Regaining confidence in the bike.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

Please keep track of those fairing mirrors. They are very difficult to find on their own.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail