First motorcycle since 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First motorcycle since 2012

Just want to start by saying all the information and resources here are awesome. I recently purchased a 1983 GS450E thats a little rough around the edges but who am I kidding so am I! This is the 3rd bike i've owned, my first bike when I was 19 was a 1989 Honda VT250, second was a 97 Suzuki Katana 600. I've also spent 6 months on a Buell XB12r when my brother needed a car and only had a bike. Anyways I stopped riding after undergrade due to finacial reason but recently talked my wife into letting me get a motorcycle. I'm super excited after 7 years without a bike.

Onto the bike, I purchased it from a pilot student who seem way in over his head working on the bike. It wasn't running at the time of purchase but it was only $425 and local so I say why note. Besides being rough a little cosmetically its in overall decent shape I think. It has 28,000 miles on it and needed some carb work and new fuel lines, the kid had a inline fuel filter on not only the main line but the vaccum line. He also had a cheap petcock on it from china that leaked when on and it was missing the plastic plugs on the pilot jet. So I took care of that when cleaning the carbs and replaced the o-rings, got a new petcock from georgefix on ebay and replaced the intake boots as they were split and hanging by a thread and duct tape. Changed the oil and some other small maintence and now it is running and drivable. Still need to do a lot of work but I am getting there. Anways it is great to have such a awesome resource of knowledgeable people and community!
    IMG_1344.jpg

Wow! I think the bike is very glad you came along to turn the story around from abuse and ignorance to resurrection.. Cool bike too!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Good luck with the 450 and have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the forum; There's quite a few of us just south of you in the Dayton area if you want any help.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome. That is a cool bike. Enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome....cool bike!

No signature

Comment

Nice bike, indeed.

I was under the impression that the only 450 for the last several years was an L.
              Nice to see that I was wrong.

By the way, if you are talking about the pilot jets inside the float bowl, those plugs are not plastic, they are rubber.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You probably saved that bike's life. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Welcome....cool bike!

Very cool. It's got that Katana flavoring at the tank side cover junction that reminds me of ... my own Suzi.

What can you tell us about the exhaust? (I've obviously mistaken your left passenger peg mount for a pipe!)
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Quite the nice GS you got there--Welcome!

Post moar pics...especially from both sides. Enjoy your way around here.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Definitely have not seen one with that style before. I thought they were all Ls by then.
                      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                      X