No announcement yet.

Place to get my gs650e restored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those aren't the deals you think they are. The Triumph is nice but it's 3 hours away...and will cost 6500 by the time I get it because of the registration fess and taxes in both states and transportation costs. That's an option...but that's the price range I've been stating...the Ninja 600 is nice but I don't want a sport bike, and it needs paint (my gs looks nicer imho), and the Ducati does look pretty nice, and it's cheap...but it's not actually a good motorcycle...it'll break down more than my gs...and will cost much more to maintain than my GS. The 620 had a ton of electrical problems...none of which I'd be able to repair, whether I had the tools or not. The only high end motorcycle I'd consider would be Triumph and BMW.

Comment

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking..and if it's any consolation I wasn't going to chop it up lol. Not at least what you think. I was just going to change the seat, handlebars, and tail. I wasn't actually going to shorten it because I want 2 seats. But I do think a frame hoop still needs to be welded there to put the seat and new lights but I could be wrong. Like this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/e7...a471358330.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Your just not a guy cut out to be messing around with an old vintage bike. Good advise has already been given. I wonder why you are fighting so hard to get an old bike going?

Never heard of someone being concerned about a bike having over 20K before, thats borderline ridiculous. There are probably plenty guys here doing between 5k and 10k a year riding

Buy a late model anything, ride it 10 times at 50 miles a pop (or 50 times at 10 miles a trip) and then stabilize the gas every winter, done.

Comment

I understand emotional attachment. I'm going on 20 years with my GS....
          It would seem to have made up your mind, but just a couple of comments to add... If it was ridden that distance and at that speed without problems to your place, it would seem that the basic package is solid and the engine likely does need to be opened up. It really sounds like gummed up cards, charging problems, and oil leaks. Depending on the source of the leak it could be fairly simple or not.

Regarding shops - be aware that many shops won't touch our old bikes, and despite their simplicity, the ones that will seem to often botch up the job. There are many stories of the latter here, as recent as this week.
          If you're going to play in the old bike realm its inevitable that you will sooner or later need to do your own work, or at least know what the shop is up to.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The Triumph that Nessism posted above is a stunner.

Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It's not about the 20k miles...it's about what I feel I'm getting in terms of value...a 20k mile ninja won't be worth anything in 10 years, even if I don't ride it. If I had a documented show queen that I barely rode it would probably increase in value over the next 20 years with records. And I would enjoy looking at it every time I left for work with it in my garage. Not planning on getting rid of the bike. It's an emotional attachment, and a luxury. I didn't buy a motorcycle for practicality, I have a volvo. I have a vision of what I want, and I have the perfect bike to start out with. Obviously I know that a motorcycle will run past 20k miles...I bought an almost 40 year old motorcycle based on looks. I didn't even ask the guy the mileage, and I've lost the gauges, it had less than 20k but maybe it'd been off for 10 years who knows. The title says exempt on the mileage. Regardless, monetarily it would be more satisfying for me to spend the money on what I want, instead of just settling for some jo shmo sport bike. If people are telling me that all it needs is $3k or $4k to get it mechanically mint, and then basic maintenance (which I can take care of) afterwards, that seems more reasonable to me than buying another bike that I won't like as much for the same price, and maintaining it at the same rate.

Yea that Triumph is really nice, but it's 3 hours away and with transportation costs (I use uhaul to tow my bike), registration and insurance, It would cost almost $7,000 when it's all said and done. Which is totally fine and in the budget...but that's not cheaper than the prices I was stating a new bike that I'd like would cost. That was def on my short list and bike I've seen posted a few times over the last 6 months.

Comment

Well, I'm convinced....you're emotionally attached to this critter! So it looks like you have a garage - handy for this kind of fun- tools too?? A significant other that can lend mental support? Don't assume you need to rip it apart just yet....do the little things first. The smoking could be from camcover gasket,tach drive,
                in your brief ride, does it still have second gear, shift ok??
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea everything worked other than it not staying on. Shifted through all gears fine but the clutch was completely gone. I still rode it but there was no clutch feel at all. I tried adjusting the cable to see if that was the problem, but then I had a hard to time pulling the actual clutch. So after that I then tried to get it looser, but then loosened it too much, and now little spinny thing that adjusts the cable tightness isn't doing anything lol. And it also fell over (heard the drop but now sure how it happened) and broke the throttle piece under the grip (no body damage), so I'm going to put clip ons or some kind of flat handlebar and all new levers and cables to go with it (maybe not a throttle cable).

Comment

Just take it one step at a time. You're starting off with a bike that has good bones, so follow the steps. Make it safe and reliable first, then make it look pretty.

There is plenty of work you can do to it without taking it to a shop. The only real difficulty would be if you didn't have space to work in, but there are people who find ways around that, even.

Are bike mechanic co-ops a thing there?
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      Just take it one step at a time. You're starting off with a bike that has good bones, so follow the steps. Make it safe and reliable first, then make it look pretty.
                      Wise words... the last part is customizing. You must admit, it's rediculous to consider new bars when the bike is smoking.

Like any large project, the way to get it done is to devide it into smaller groups. Electrics, fuel, brakes, etc..
                      When I look at a new bike project, I do electrical first. That's just me.
                      But, by breaking it down into systems you can focus on one area withou getting distracted or overwhelmed.

In your case... figuring where the motor is smoking or leaking would be a good start. Address that first, most likely a seal or a easy gasket fix. A win under your belt will help... and if it's a bigger job like rings, best to figure that out and get a plan together.

Running & safe first
                      break down into smaller systems
                      pick a target and get to it

folks here will help if you get in a pickle

Comment

Clutches are easy fix....good that transmission seems ok, cuz they are no fun to mess with.
                        Don't take it to a place like this poor guy

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Know anyone that comes near Oklahoma City fairly regularly> Trucker buddy??? Im willing if it can get to me. Im a tech at Schoolhouse Cycles in Norman OK. Im the "Jap Bike Guy". I can PM you my number if youd like.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It can only be $300 or so to get a transport to Chuck then fly out & ride it back over a weekend... His work is well documented on here (Just don't let him set fire to your gas tank... )

Personally I would upgrade the brakes too - especially if you think you'll be riding two up and not concerned with originality. As cheap as rebuilding all the stock stuff & usually just a bolt on with the right brackets.

Have you ever ridden a "real cafe"? I love the look but they are damn uncomfortable for more than a short spin.

Good luck with it.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X