GS1100ES project just getting started in Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES project just getting started in Upstate NY

So, I'm a newbie here, but a longtime rider / wrencher. I moved my third-hand custom-ish GS1100ES out here to the Utica NY area from the San Diego area (yeah, I've heard it all - the doctor said he was scheduling me for a psych eval) over 13 years ago, and it has been sitting idle ever since. It had stopped running maybe a year before the move, due to electrical issues, which of course, turned out to be a bad stator (amazingly the R/R is still fine, but I'm replacing it anyway). The bike had been stretched and lowered, with PM brakes, Corbin seat, and I'm not even sure what all was done, honestly, but it pulled like a train when I twisted it. I had an early Hayabusa at the time, and I swore that the GS pulled harder. Maybe it was just the ergonomics and lack of aerodynamics giving me that impression, but it could be a beast. It was quite streetable, though, when not twisting too far.

Anyway, I'm going to finally get her back on the road, after close to 15 years of not running. I have some Progressive shocks and fork springs to raise it back up to save my back, and the new stator and R/R, and I don't even remember what else I've bought. OH - I'm not convinced that the current huge eyesore of a gauge cluster is the original type - I've seen pics of other ES bikes with a smaller curved trapezoid thing - please tell me if this is right. I want to replace it with something more minimalist, anyway.

Here are a couple of pics to document the "before" state, after moving other bikes and stuff to get to it in the garage again today. Still dusty, probably some rust forming, etc.

IMG_1957.jpg

Looks like a limit of one image per post, so a couple more coming...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2019, 01:08 PM.

The Performance Machine front brakes:
    IMG_1958.jpg

Comment

The big instrument cluster-in-question:
      IMG_1961.jpg

Comment

And the Mikuni (VM33 smooth bores?) carbs, which were in fine fettle before sitting for years:

IMG_1967.jpg
        Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Hey Frank. Welcome.
          That is definitely an 1100e cluster. You are correct about the trapezoidal ES cluster. The ES cluster also has an electronic tachometer not the cable driven one that the E does.
          Good luck with the project. A cool one at that.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks - that's what I thought. I'm guessing it is relatively difficult to find the correct cluster?

Comment

Thanks - that's what I thought. I'm guessing it is relatively difficult to find the correct cluster?

Comment

That cluster is worth money. I replaced my almost identical one just to get the 140 speedo.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ah - I wonder if the 140 MPH reading was why this was changed? What was the max reading on the stock ES?

Comment

Well, it's an '83 so it was probably 140. 1982 was the hated 85.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you’re wanting an original cluster or body parts there is a guy in Ontario with some for sale on Kijiji.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        If you’re wanting an original cluster or body parts there is a guy in Ontario with some for sale on Kijiji.
                        Thanks - I didn’t know about Kijiji, but I can’t seem to find it there with searches - would you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by fastfrank View Post
                          Here are a couple of pics to document the "before" state, after moving other bikes and stuff to get to it in the garage again today. Still dusty, probably some rust forming, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57837[/ATTACH]

Looks like a limit of one image per post, so a couple more coming...
                          If that's been sitting for over a decade with the stator cover off, and there's even rust on the rotor, keep your fingers crossed the crankcase hasn't had
                          an ingress of water vapour over the years and rusted the bearings. Happened to one of mine.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly - thanks for the heads-up on the bearings...
                            I think the cover has been off for under 2 years, and it had a rag over it for some of that time... not exactly ideal storage.
                            We have a lot of humidity here. I’ll drain everything as well as I can, get some fresh oil, turn it over manually a few times.
                            I may get an inspection camera in there. I’ll get the rust off there without getting it in the gears (hopefully).
                            I appreciate the input.

Comment

Also drop the oil pan and inspect the pick-up pipe strainer. These get looked at once in a blue moon and my current engine would have terminally destructed if I hadn't checked that.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X