Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS450 Airbox install... what is the secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Airbox install... what is the secret?

Hi all, Midst of a 1980 GS450E rehab... the bike came without an airbox and thought, I'll just hunt down the parts and bring it back to it's factory intended set-up... So, over the winter managed to track down the box, boots & snorkles on ebay.
    Now the rest of the bike is ready... carbs are rebuilt, wiring done, brakes, new battery, new tires... all good: Time to install the airbox!
    And then, I stopped and pondered: how does this box go back in? Right side? Left side? Square-peg round-hole fumbling... carb boots out, cam chain tensioner out, starter cover out... hmmmm.... battery out, battery box out... hmmm...
    wrestling and force are not getting me anywhere.
    So... could anyone enlighten me as to how this goes back in? (Hoping that I don't have to pull the motor and no, not going with pods...)
    Thanks in advance!

Well, so much for your hopes.

I have never had to do it, but I understand that the airbox goes in from the FRONT.

Yep, where the engine used to be.

Once you get it in, you will be happy you chose to not go with pods.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know about the 450, but on my 750 I had to remove the carb boots from the head. Also had to remove oil lines and front motor mounts to pivot the motor forward just a little. Even then, it was a very tight squeeze.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        I don't know about the 450, but on my 750 I had to....
        Totally different animal here... 750 walks itself in by comparison. This is probably a problem unique to solid airbox twins with this frame & motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Well, so much for your hopes. I have never had to do it, but I understand that the airbox goes in from the FRONT. Yep, where the engine used to be.
          Well I'm hoping that someone with GS twin experience will show up with a magic puzzle solution because I really don't want to have to enter her in any immoral or rough way...

So far the spacial geometry indicates to me that it's either: engine out, frame mods or pods
          That said, been wrong before and I'm hoping I am again...

Comment

On my 450t I had the battery box out, the carbs off, the cam chain tensioner off and the clutch cable off and out of the way. It seemed to go best by rotating it 90 degrees (at some point) and rather roughly working it in and out the left side of the bike.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              On my 450t I had the battery box out, the carbs off, the cam chain tensioner off and the clutch cable off and out of the way. It seemed to go best by rotating it 90 degrees (at some point) and rather roughly working it in and out the left side of the bike.
              Thank you... that's encouraging... I'll try removing the clutch cable and try to get in there from the left before pulling the motor... from the right I felt like I was going to crack the box or loose a tab if I applied any more force...

Comment

Originally posted by scratch View Post
                Totally different animal here... 750 walks itself in by comparison. This is probably a problem unique to solid airbox twins with this frame & motor.
                Well, good luck to you then. If there is any less room than an 83 750E, you will be pulling the motor. It certainly didn't walk itself in, compared to anything.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

SHIFT the rear fender out of the way too If you have a rear fender that is ......on my gsx400 twins I have to do this just to get the airbox back enough to get the carbs out...

The fender is two parts =plastic and metal. The plastic part is pretty easy to shift once two small (rusted)bolts are removed from the metal fender...then lift the plastic part out of its sockets and get it back and up as close to the tire as you can ...
                  It's a real bear to get the airbox in. I think the factory put it in first before anything else .

Comment

They are all separate animals, but I can tell you the secret to removing an '82 11E airbox. A Dremel.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

OK…Turns out, much easier than that 750E… once the right method was sorted it’s a breeze. For anyone who ever needs to do it in the future, here’s the jam:

remove battery
                      remove battery box
                      remove carbs
                      remove carb intake boots
                      remove cam chain tensioner
                      remove starter cover
                      remove sprocket cover and tie up out of the way (you will need to remove upper bolt on left foot peg, loosen lower bolt & remove shift lever)

Enter from the left side... at this point the box will go right in no prob, to get it to rotate and fit into the rear frame triangle correctly I had to remove the left bolt on the left-side electrics mounting plate… that extra 3-4mm made it happen.

Thanks to you Mr LAB3 for steering me in the right direction!
                      Last edited by scratch; 04-28-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

*sniff* I just love a happy ending!

With GS twins, I've always found that removing or shifting the inner fender is the key to smooth airbox insertion.

There was once, I can't even remember the bike or whether it was a GS, where I heated up one corner of the airbox with a heat gun, then squished the corner slightly against a flat surface. Thus was the completely impossible made possible.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          ...removing or shifting...
                          I heated up with a heat gun...
                          OK…it’s a breeze...

remove...
                          remove...
                          remove...
                          remove...
                          remove...
                          remove...
                          remove...
                          tie up out of the way (you will need to remove upper bolt on left foot peg...
                          loosen lower bolt...
                          remove shift lever...

remove the left bolt on the left-side electrics mounting plate…
                          A breeze!

Like the lost gold of the Incas, the City of Atlantis or the G spot. It just ain't there. It's a myth.

"Honey, can we stop looking now? Or at least take a break?"
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            A breeze!

Like the lost gold of the Incas, the City of Atlantis or the G spot. It just ain't there. It's a myth.
                            Sorry, my version of a "breeze" just means there is a known answer to a puzzle... sure there are a few steps but, doing it wasn't difficult, figuring out "how" to do it had me stumped for a bit. But with those steps it went right in... and I just tried to record them for anyone else in the future.

My error was assuming it would not fit in the left side because I discovered it would in no-way go in the right...

Now that's done and I'm off to making mistakes on my other bikes

Comment

Sorry, my version of a "breeze" just means there is a known answer to a puzzle... sure there are a few steps but, doing it wasn't difficult, figuring out "how" to do it had me stumped for a bit. But with those steps it went right in... and I just tried to record them for anyone else in the future.
                              A noble gesture. Could you mail the instructions to me in a plain, unmarked envelope? You can name your price.

Thanks,
                              Rob

PS We are still talking about the G-spot, right? I've got the Dremel, a couple of torque wrenches, an air compressor, a breaker bar, and a rear paddock stand. I assume I'll be needing plenty of WD-40, but are there any specialty tools I need to order?

Comment

Working...
                              X